Sign in to follow this  
Apple Roof Cleaning

Your Opinions On Rebuilding New Orleans ?

Question

What do you guys THINK about rebuilding New Orleans ?

SHOULD we have spent all that Money, TWICE ?

Hurricane Gustav is heading right at it.

Now, IF Gustav hits, what do we do ?

Spend MORE Taxpayers Money for a City that AIN"T supposed to be there anyway ?

Maybe it is time to give up ?

115 answers to this question

From Craigslist, Louisville, Ky...

I Was at the Fairgrounds for 8 days...

so I do think I am more than able to relay what actually went on with the community of 1,500 evacuees.

Friday 29 August - the Fairgrounds South Wing was set with cots, Medical Intake, Hospital, Kitchen, bottled water/gatorade stations, baby food, formula, diapers were provided for infants...we were ready to provide anything necessary to make their stay comfortable

Saturday 30 August - Over 450 evacuees were flown in and processed; they received a cot, blanket, towels and a personal needs kit; a play area for children was set up which included a tv/dvd; they were fed pizza provided by Papa John's and snacks were available until 11pm (which was curfew)

Sunday 31 August - They were provided three meals a day and the water/gatorade stations were available as were the snacks; breakfast was cereal, milk, cereal bars, fruit, coffee, donuts; lunch was pizza provided by Pizza Hut along with their new pasta dishes; dinner was snack boxes provided by KFC; between 3pm and 9pm the remaining 900 evacuees arrived and were processed AND that is when the "FUN" began...these were the younger groups of crackheads, pimps and ho's, dirty, smelling, ill-mannered bunch that thought they were coming to Louisville to get a debt card as they were given during Katrina - did not happen because Louisville was a food and sleeping shelter only and Gustav WAS NOT a Katrina; showers have been set up for them to schedule a time to use

Monday 1 September - Tensions began to run high between the masses because of that many people being housed in one area with the good, the bad, and the ugly attitudes; breakfast was the usual, lunch was a nice size sirloin hamburger with a variety of other sides; dinner was chicken and rice but that did not matter - they still wanted those debit cards; we have now set up 3 large screen plasma tv's, computers so they can notify family; the smell is horrid in the sleeping area

Tuesday 2 September - By this time, I cannot remember what the lunch and dinner menu was but they were provided nice meals; they were given the option of going to the Slugger Museum and given the small bats you receive there when visiting (which turned out to be a BAD idea! By now they have found there is a Liquor Store located on Preston Highway within walking distance and have located OUR local Crack dealers; telephones are set up for them to call home to family and friends; they are stealing from each other and just about anything else they can get ahold of that is not tied, glued, or concreted down (which includes food);they have been provided clothing by the Salvation Army in hopes some will take a shower and change into fresh clothes

Wednesday 3 September - They are still eating well but it does not seem enough to to some of them; they are given the opportunity to go to the Zoo; the YMCA has come in to provide a bigger paly area for the children with inflatables; arrests are starting to be made by LMPD over fighting, drunken individuals getting out of hand...this was the most disturbing night of all - they are restless, WANTING TO GO HOME (because they did not get those debit cards) and now have wasted any money they might have had; calling family and friends who are telling them Gustav was not that big and there is no damage to some of the homes

Thursday 4 September - They are given the opportunity to go to the Frazier History Museum and/or the Science and History Museum; still eating well and most all their needs are being met but that is not enough - they WANT TO GO HOME

Friday 5 September - They are hearing rumors they are letting people back into the area - they WANT TO GO HOME and are extremely restless with the system; unfounded rumors are flying around and the Red Cross volunteers are the enemy; FEMA has finally showed to try to appease them about their wanting to go home; Trolleys are provided every 20 minutes so they can go downtown; a little ice cream shop is set up and they are still eating well, provided snacks, water, coffe, lemonade, gatorade...I am now sorta losing count of all they have provided because I have already volunteered almost 100 hours since last Friday!

Saturday 6 September - Now FEMA has finally told them they are going home (or at least most of them are going home; they are packing and throughout the day 900 are processed to out to flights...thank God they had the sense to get the "bad" ones out first and airport security confiscated any of the Slugger Museum bats that were left; 450 are going home tomorrow

Sunday 7 September - Beginning at 6:30am they are being processed out to go home and by 2pm the good, the bad, and the ugly attitudes HAVE ALL GONE HOME...

Stories have run rampand throughout the Louisville area about these people - some may be true but most are not. There was no robbing throughout the City of Louisville (just inside the Fairgrounds from one another) There was no raping of children! They were not mistreated, they mistreated one another! There was arguing, fighting and general havoc which will happen when you try to contain that many people of different backgrounds in one area. I feel the City of Louisville, the Red Cross, our state government and FEMA did all that could be done to accomodate them...and most were grateful! Just keep in mind the old saying...one bad apple can spoil the crate.

Now for all you spelling and grammar police sorry if there are typos, etc. I am still trying to recover from doing all I thought I could do to accomodate these people ;)

NOLA is and was a waist...They should have shut it down after big K and used the city as a mass training base for military and leo's for urban warfare and search and rescue ops....

My wife works for the department of social services and since Katrina every time there is a storm headed toward NO the calls start coming in from people saying their evacuee's from NO and want to "register" aka sign up for their free stuff,,,wanting red cross money cards..emergency food stamps and emergency living expenses..claiming to have nothing not even clothes because "the government" ordered" a mandatory evacuation so they HAD to leave without getting anything and now they have found out their house was broken into back there and all lost everything to thievs...ya da ya da....every time...it's the same people calling every time...LOL...And they have to fill out a bunch of paperwork (emergency applications) because they can't perceive to be discriminating or call them out all the while knowing its not true and not getting anyone anything. They think if they see a MANDATORY EVAC anywhere they have ever lived before or God help have an old ID from they automatically have a tit pass. She comes home so pissed every time there is a storm this time of year...lol...

Edited by MudDuck

Anthony

I'm sorry it took so long to answer your rebuttal but we just got power back yesterday.

I basically agree with most of what you said in theory. I'm as conservative as they come. But the thugs you heard about are few and far between in comparison of the population. The 1% get the press and give the other 99% a bad name.

I think everyone has a responsibility to better themselves, but when WE THE PEOPLE, have provided an endless list of entitlement programs to give to people it's hard for me to blame them for using them. Yes I am against welfare and food stamps and medicaid for prolonged periods of time. But the people on these programs haven't been "flying under the radar" everyone knows there is generational dependence on these programs.

Let's hypothetically say somebody like the shingle manufacturers would pay the roof cleaners $6000.00 a month to stay at home and not clean roofs. A lot of people would take them up on it. Some would rather make twice that running a business. So let's say this goes on for 30 years. Can you be mad at the people taking the money for staying at home.

That may be a poor example but just trying to get you to see that you have to understand that this is a mindset that has to be defeated. Scott Stone was dead on with what i was trying to get people to understand about the poor in NOLA.

It is just hard for me to see the 1% ruin all that is good in NOLA. Just like Russ's story from Craigslist, most of what you read is not true.

One interesting thing I saw on TV was a black author saying that it only took 3 days for the blacks to turn on each other in NOLA during Katrina while in white areas we were cutting our own trees, churches cooking for people and gathering clothes for those that lost everything.

That just shows the problems with government trying to provide everything to people. When they can't provide for themselves they forget.

Hopefully next year I won't be on family vacation and can show you around at NOLA 09' hosted by the Eckhoff family. Love to get a few people here early and go on a fishing charter. There is lot to see close by.

Scott

As long as there is gonna be free food...I'm there! :D

I understand what you are saying Scott...I guess I just don't understand that kinda thinking. My dad would whoop my arse if I mooched off of somebody like that. Temporary help is one thing, but to make it a lifestyle...I just don't understand that.

I'm sure people all over America scratch their head at what Scott and I are talking about. I don't blame you at all. Here it is a cultural thing that must be broken and I really believe that Katrina did a lot to help that.

In the year after the storm the workforce that was evacuated was unavailable to work so needless to say minimum wage went out the window.( It was a wonderful feeling to be able to show everyone that thought I was nuts for wanting to abolish the minimum wage that my idea wasn't flawed) People were making 9-12 dollars an hour at fast food places where $6.50 or so was top money. Young men and women were making 12-18 dollars an hour as laborers doing construction. One morning i had some errands to run after working nights. Usually at 4 in the morning people were on the street corners still hanging out. They weren't there and sure enough I was catching up on paperwork in my car when at about 6:00 AM masses of people were walking to work in hard hats.

I myself was floored at the sight. I think it was just proof that if you pay a decent wage and teach a skill, most people will work.

Scott

BTW

It amazes me that watching the news right now people in Houston are mad cause FEMA hasn't brought water and food yet. I thought for sure these people would have learned from watching LA after Katrina that you are responsible for yourself for the first 72 hours after a storm.

Scott

I have a very good friend that called me this morning to tell me that his whole neighborhood was pretty much destroyed/flooded from the hurricane. I didn't get a chance to call him back yet and ask him what he's going to do, but he was calling me on the way up to his parents house (about an hour away) to get some supplies.

Should we not rebuild anywhere no matter what natural event happens? Why should we? It could happen there again. I tell you why. It is a place that someone calls home. My home has been affected by three hurricanes, Rita, Gustov, and Ike. Did I get the heck out their way? You bet. My famliy and I was back within three to four days to help other people affected. A group of friends, myself, and the LA National Guard gave out bags of ice to the good people of Nederland, TX today. The look of thanks on those people faces as they received their ice words cannot express.

Should our great goverment help our people and there homes in need? You bet they should. That is what I pay taxes for. What is the differance of taking a vacation and claiming it as a tax write off year after year and able bodied people who makes a living off welfare? Either way you and they are cheating the goverment. Claiming something that should not be claimed.

I urge everyone to to go back and read what you have posted, rethink your thoughts and ask yourself what would you do if this was you or some one in your famliy and remember this is a public forum. What you type in there for everyone to see just what kind of person you are.

Their is a group of people on these fourms who wants less goverment control, but want more restrictions in the pressure washing industry and which there should be. Who do you think going to be the ones to enforce these restrictions? These fourms, groups, orgs. that seems to be popping up all over the internet, or the Goverment?

May God Bless our great country and our people!

Should we not rebuild anywhere no matter what natural event happens? Why should we? It could happen there again. I tell you why. It is a place that someone calls home. My home has been affected by three hurricanes, Rita, Gustov, and Ike. Did I get the heck out their way? You bet. My famliy and I was back within three to four days to help other people affected. A group of friends, myself, and the LA National Guard gave out bags of ice to the good people of Nederland, TX today. The look of thanks on those people faces as they received their ice words cannot express.

Should our great goverment help our people and there homes in need? You bet they should. That is what I pay taxes for. What is the differance of taking a vacation and claiming it as a tax write off year after year and able bodied people who makes a living off welfare? Either way you and they are cheating the goverment. Claiming something that should not be claimed.

I urge everyone to to go back and read what you have posted, rethink your thoughts and ask yourself what would you do if this was you or some one in your famliy and remember this is a public forum. What you type in there for everyone to see just what kind of person you are.

Their is a group of people on these fourms who wants less goverment control, but want more restrictions in the pressure washing industry and which there should be. Who do you think going to be the ones to enforce these restrictions? These fourms, groups, orgs. that seems to be popping up all over the internet, or the Goverment?

May God Bless our great country and our people!

Thank you!

Beth

Finally got to talk to my buddy today that lives in Texas.

He said his neighborhood is all but destroyed. Most the houses are still standing and stuff like that, but just about everybody's roofs are badly damaged, trees are on cars, no electricity, fences blown down etc..

I asked him if he needed any help. He said that his neighborhood is like a big family now and everybody is helping everybody. After they all work on each other's houses they have a big block camp out. The sound of generators purr in the background and they are making the best of a horrible situation. He said that his dad drove down to help out and brought a ton of ice...he said people were tearing up when they started handing out bags of ice. All the stuff we take for granted.

This is the kind of stuff that America is made of. People working together to help their fellow neighbor out.

He also said that there were some minor trouble from the riff raff like stealing gas, stealing generators and things like that, but for the most part, they are like a big family now.

How come you don't see too much of this on the news?

KVS, thank you for your posting. I considered what ya said and I wonder what it is exactly you want our goobermint, um I mean us, to pay for. If anyone has outright said they don't want people helped during crisis in way of shelter, food, clothing, or what ever basics ..I failed to see it. I think it really easy to confuse such basic help with rebuilding a whole infrastructure of a city or region as well as peoples housing. Hey heres a couple novel idea. The people and their insurance rebuilds the houses and the insurance companies are prevented via legislation from spreading the rate burden outside the region. The fed and state rebuild the basic infrastructure out of special fund and the financial burden is recouped via local taxes over so many years back to the fund sort of like a loan repayment. Heavy infrastructure for the 500 year level could be carried out at burden to the whole nation. I mean like who would complain if really robust walls, gates, etc. are put on our nations tab. Got to have a port there right?.. so but how I take it is that most people with a view outside the area don't like the idea of a bandaide.

Finally got to talk to my buddy today that lives in Texas.

He said his neighborhood is all but destroyed. Most the houses are still standing and stuff like that, but just about everybody's roofs are badly damaged, trees are on cars, no electricity, fences blown down etc..

I asked him if he needed any help. He said that his neighborhood is like a big family now and everybody is helping everybody. After they all work on each other's houses they have a big block camp out. The sound of generators purr in the background and they are making the best of a horrible situation. He said that his dad drove down to help out and brought a ton of ice...he said people were tearing up when they started handing out bags of ice. All the stuff we take for granted.

This is the kind of stuff that America is made of. People working together to help their fellow neighbor out.

He also said that there were some minor trouble from the riff raff like stealing gas, stealing generators and things like that, but for the most part, they are like a big family now.

How come you don't see too much of this on the news?

I don't know but it is wonderful when communities pull together instead of fighting one another.

Beth