Sign in to follow this  
Mathew Johnson

Armstrong Clark - Semi Solid

Question

Here is a deck project we did last week. It had medium red readyseal (4 years old) We prepped it in the usual fashion and applied ONE coat of Armstrong Clark Oxford Brown Semi Solid.

It applied easily and covered well. No issues or problems

post-723-137772219579_thumb.jpg

post-723-13777221959_thumb.jpg

post-723-137772219599_thumb.jpg

post-723-137772219607_thumb.jpg

16 answers to this question

Matt,

That is one horrid, ugly color, put back the RS med. red! Aside from the pigment, it should be interesting to see how the A-C holds up with all the foot traffic.

LOL...I guess the clue there Rick is it's called Oxford Brown like an old shoe. Matt did they want something that dark? It looks good against the white to me but was it still wet at pic time? It's seems to have some lighter spots here and there was it hard to get even?

And yes that will be a good one to watch how it holds up under true traffic, will you be able to keep an eye on that one for us?

Many like to see their wood..but many like to see their wood take a lesser role to color or style matching their whole house and neighborhood. I assume owner made correct choice for their style and needs. Personally I don't like oxford but respect those that do.

... Personally I don't like oxford but respect those that do.

I hate that color. Seen better looking creosote railroad ties. A customer could not pay me enough $ to put such an awful looking stain color on exterior wood.

Nothing against Armstrong-Clark, they make a very good stain. Hope "oxford brown" is not one of their big sellers, California will have to pass a visual pollution law.

LOL...I guess the clue there Rick is it's called Oxford Brown like an old shoe. Matt did they want something that dark? It looks good against the white to me but was it still wet at pic time? It's seems to have some lighter spots here and there was it hard to get even?

And yes that will be a good one to watch how it holds up under true traffic, will you be able to keep an eye on that one for us?

It had dew from the night before, pics taken early morning.

Wanted it to match the trim and more of a solid stain.... It is almost an identical match to the wrapped windows. I am curious to see how it looks in the spring. I will try to shoot some up close photos. The luster of the wood and the grain looks great. I like the color and it covered well.

I am reprinting my wood restoration brochures and there is an inside panel featuring Armstrong Clark stain and one featuring Readyseal. I will retake the pics for the brochures after the deck has cured for a week or two.

I hate that color. Seen better looking creosote railroad ties. A customer could not pay me enough $ to put such an awful looking stain color on exterior wood.

Nothing against Armstrong-Clark, they make a very good stain. Hope "oxford brown" is not one of their big sellers, California will have to pass a visual pollution law.

Rick.... don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. See ya in October, We have planned the event for you.... Oxford brown table cloths, Oxford brown silverware, Free sample of oxford brown for door prizes, oxford brown carpet and best of all..... oxford brown colored ice cold high test.

.... oxford brown colored ice cold high test.

Matt,

Hah! Now that is an invitation I could never turn down. Color preferences be damned! Looking forward to it.

If you get the chance, try some of Armstrong-Clark's "super cedar" on cedar. Great color and certainly more appropriate for a brochure photo!

I agree, and that's just funny!

Beth

Here are some more pics of AC semi solids on treated pine. One is Mtn. Cedar and the other is Woodland Brown. Both one coat. (no spray, except that lattice work with the Mtn Cedar) I've done two Oxford Brown decks. It has it's place. By far the most popular choices around here are Mtn Cedar, Woodland Brown and Rustic Brown Semi trans. I have a job coming up in Driftwood semi trans. Never used it other than creating samples, so I look forward to seeing the results.

post-3997-137772219765_thumb.jpg

post-3997-137772219849_thumb.jpg

post-3997-137772219854_thumb.jpg