Sign in to follow this  
Roscoe

Splash Guard

Question

Hi All! I was wondering if anyone out there has used or is using a splash guard on their wand. I have seen these on the Web. It seems that it would be a handy tool when it comes to spraying walkways, walls near the ground, etc. to prevent splash back. I usually end up with more dirt on me than was on what I was cleaning. Any info would be appreciated. I enjoy all the great forums. Thanks!

:newbie:

16 answers to this question

I would guess your facing directly at the work area try working on an angle to it and the water will not come back in your face other then when you do corners.

I would like to find heavy duty plastic splash guards 18,24 and 36 inches long with a handle to go up to the bottom of doors that are not sealed tightly so water will not go underneath and into the business.

Anyone seen these items?

If you are talking about the gaurds that attach to your wand they stink. They get in the way all the time and all the effort to make it work just go buy some rubber boots and a rain suit bib if you dont want to get wet and dirty. When I do flatwork I just use a pair of rubber boots that fit over my existing footwear and I stay pretty clean just using that.

roscoe..i use a 48inch wand with a small bend at the end and work the angles....

jon how about a 4ft length of hose filled with lead shot and crimped.....foot on one end and pressure of the wand to keep it against the door.

Well That Is The Problem. I Found This A Few Months Ago By Mistake And Now Can't Find It. I Did A Search And Only Found Two. One From Karcher And The Other From Another Small Engine Company. I'll Have To Get That For You. It Was A Little Expensive. Around $56

I would guess your facing directly at the work area try working on an angle to it and the water will not come back in your face other then when you do corners.

Jon that's probably what I'll have to work on. I have been tring to work the angles but I still get some mud splash-back. Especially in mulch. I had a friend make a 2x4ft piece of tin with a handle. This works on straight edges but not on cuved walkways and you have to keep moving it as you go. I guess this is just one of the hazards of the biz. I knew I would be getting wet and dirty anyway.:)

Roscoe it takes practice and expecience, just work at it and keep the wand about 3 inches from concrete and use 15° nozzle.

Keep towels and change of clothes in your truck.

I think someone else mentioned it already, but get a 4' wand for your gun. It'll make a big difference in how much water, dirt, and mud you get on you. Spray at an agle also, as Jon said...That way most of the blow back won't hit you.

Jon,

Have you tried the guards that painters use when using an airless gun? they have handles and come in different lengths. may work for what you need them for.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll keep on practicing. If I do get a little dirty. So what. Part of the fun of it huh? Just was thinking that the guard might help. I really enjoy all the info gained. This rookie has already learned a lot.Thanks! Oh yea! I also just bought an X-Jet. Looking forward to trying it out. See Ya!

Jon Chapman no never thought of those, will stop by a painters store and check them out.

As for the grasshoper, just be sure only you get sprayed and not by standers or customers.

Better carry 2 extra sets of clothing!

using a top notch soap, increasing the amount of 10.5% chlorine I use, using the Xjet to prewet, apply, and rinse, and using the 4' wand, I rarely get wet doing a housewash, and then it is usually because I have the underside of a porch or something where I get a lot of "rain" while I'm washing. For a typical ranch style house, I don't get wet at all.

Sometimes a little flyback is unavoidable. Just remember to keep your mouth closed.

If you don't it's like riding a motorcycle thru bugs with your mouth open.....:)