Sign in to follow this  
jimbo970

my 10 yr old ipe deck concerns

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a home that has an ipe deck, the deck is approx 10 years old with built in benches all around. I prev had a huge tree over the deck and when the tree came out the deck really looked awful with dark mold spots dark splotch grey color etc but is releatively in good condition. I recently cleaned the deck using oxalic wash and power washer and now the wood is very blond and most looks very nice and clean but some of the benches are stil blotchy - I am working on these. My question is that you can start to see that the benches are forming fine lines and cracks and some of the floor boards are beginning that directions so I am sure I will need to put something on it to keep it from destroying the deck. I was told to use ATO from cabots and am wondering if I do this what others experience has been. I live in pennsylvania. I also am concerned that with the extensive power wasking I have done over the last 2 weeks that I have run the natural oils out of the wood and that it will certainly crack.

Jimbo,

If your wood is truly ipe', stop worrying. It will last longer than you, your children, and possibly their children. Cracks are normal, and it is probably the one wood that DIY homeowners can not harm.