Sign in to follow this  
Camelot

Big fence problem

Question

I need some logistical help on an issue I am having with a vinyl, split rail fence (heavy mold). The fence is 1500 feet long and meanders through a country valley alongside a dry creekbed. There is no access to water so I'll need my tank (300 gallons). The problem is that the closest I can get my trailer on pavement is about 250-300 feet away from the fence and through the creekbed (which pretty much makes this a non-option). I have 2 hose reels with 300 feet of hose each. This means I will have to pull the trailer on to the grass (which is quite "squishy"...LOL) and through quite a bit of pretty ominous terrain for a trailer. I'm nervous about getting stuck...how embarrassing would that be? My question is, does anyone have any alternative ideas for cleaning this fence? I would even consider scrubbing with a deck brush, but I'd still need access to water for rinsing...Thanks for any ideas.

- John

15 answers to this question

Rent a skid for about 250 a day with a ball hitch. Go with tracks vs. wheels on the skid. Hook your trailer to the skid and place your rig exactly the in the spot if possible so you don't have to reposition it and wash away. Just my .02

Hey John,

We're currently set up in the bed of our truck - which isn't nearly as scary as getting a trailer stuck :) Do you have a small portable unit that you could temporarily plumb up to a tank in your truck bed...or better yet, on a rented gator?

Celeste

If you have a sureflow or a Delevan I would just run that line and spray it down with SH and alot of soap in the mix and let mother nature do all of the rinsing. I've had a few vinyl fences and also concrete walls that were difficult to get to and have done them this way. I normally use alot of Dawn in my mix. Helps alot when the rain hits it and any leftover dead mold residue rinses right off. I normally go back after a couple of good rains to double check it and reaply if needed in the areas that may have been a bit difficult.

I third that Larry Ive done that before with it being vinyl you wont have any problem

John btw you coing to mb

Edited by PPC

John I'm bidding an exact same type job around about 100 akcrs or so. I'm going to get a 125 gal tank and set in back of my 4wd toyota truck and put my small 4gpm cold unit on a hitch haul behind truck and below water level for gravity feed and drive around property. As far as chems goe's for vinyl fence is all you need is some DS OTC bleach and dawn. My prob is figuring out what to charge on this job..lol figuring out the pita factor. PM me if you don't mind about what you priced this for. Anyone.

Edited by MudDuck

Hey everyone...thanks so much for the info, I really appreciate it! I may go the "mother nature route"...heck, I'd even brush it if I had to. It's all vinyl and in great shape.

Hey Mikey...yup, I'm coming to MB! I'll probably get in Friday evening. I'm hoping we can all grab a beer or two at some point! See you there!

This type job is how I justified buying a quad to the wife..lol

But really, you may do just fine with a real good pump up with hecka strong bleach mixed with dawn or mr clean. Even if you do end up using pressure it probably turn out better with the chem prespraying. Mold don't like bleach

Call me lazy...to be even more practical if you already have a portable pw

all you need is a utility pump since you're already by the stream

use mother natures endless supply as a water source..