Sign in to follow this  
the repairman

deck repaired

Hi everyone, I have spent so much time reading researching and trying to figure out what is best to apply to the new decking I have worked on for the past month. I would like to apply whatever it is best before I actually install the deck boards. The wood is western red cedar. Now that I have such an overload of information I wonder if someone can recommend a product that they have used and have experience with. I visited every local paint store in town and I seemed to know more about what I didn't want than they had to offer.

thanks so much,

dale

Rick , there are certain aspects of that organization that are troubling. It is an organization that protects the lumber industry against the finishing industry. What comes to mind is" MILL GLAZE". I just red up on it again? What a crock of crap they have conjured up on the subject? I am dealing with it today ( cedar garage doors), and every new cedar deck I deal with it's there in some form( shiney spots). Myth? I think not!

Jim,

I tend to agree with you. Who can forget the eastern WRCLA's rep, Ed Burke, and his diatribe on using diluted bleach and soap as a cleaner?

But for Dale, a homeowner or deck builder unfamiliar with finishing, their guide is a good starting point. He has to decide what type of finish to put on his cedar.

If it was my deck or customer job in British Columbia in September, I would let it weather over the winter and finish it in the spring with Ready Seal. Contrary to the WRCLA stance, at least for paraffinic oil stains, I think it is better to let cedar naturally age and weather for a while, prior to prepping and staining.

Edited by RPetry

Dale,

Welcome to TGS. Are you a homeowner or a contractor? Please add your signature. Thanks.

Beth

Thanks for the welcome. I have added a signature. I am a homeowner and a rental property manager so I don't do it for a living but I do have extensive hands on experiance building using Western Red.

I need pointers for the proper prep for a Western Red Cedar Deck and more importantly the correct product to use so I do not have to tear the deck apart and use it for firewood Again :banghead:

After much reading I have concluded that Ready Seal seems to be the most recommended product to use but I dont know if it is available in British Columbia.

Thanks for everyones replies so far.