Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

Quality Pump Sprayers

Question

What kind of pump sprayers are you guys using for applying chems/sealer? Is it normal to go through 2 a season? I've been eyeing up the Hudson pro series, but I don't want to spend $80 just to throw it away 6 mos later. Also, anyone use backpack models? Thanks.

16 answers to this question

I use a 3 -4 gal backpack model and added a brass extension wand (I think it goes from 36" to somewhere around 72"). I can spray solution up to the gutters on a 2+ story house in a relatively controlled stream (if the wind is low). I think I paid around $80 for it and got it at Northern (it was an emergency buy...I probably could hav found it cheaper elsewhere). It has had chlorine, degreaser, soap, and some other stuff put through it in the past 8 months and still works great. Never used stain nor sealer. Just rinse and put some clean water through it after each use.

Ryan H.

You couldnt pay me enough money to use a back pack sprayer with the chemicals that I use. One leak and you will be in the hospital with holes in your back. And yes a year or so ago I read about just that thing were one leaked on a guy and it wasnt pretty. Hand help sprayers are fine but never a back pack sprayer for chems. Think saftey at all times.

I agree with Morgan 100% Hudson and Chapin both make some nice sprayers. I look for ones that have a wide mouth for easy pour in, and a metal durable sprayer mechanism.

Typically, about $25 is what I'll spend for a pump sprayer. If they go bad after a year, I don't feel bad.

I like the Chapin 2209 3-gallon acid resistant plastic with Viton seals

sells for under $50. It has a pressure relief valve (KEY for safety).

Sprays for a long time when pumped properly.

You can replace the wear parts with a Viton Kit #6-1945 sold for $12.

This kit includes springs, o-rings, and valves.

I replaced the short hoses with a longer ones.

Good point, Morgan.

I guess I should have mentioned that I rarely use anything that is very caustic. I always wear a long sleeve rain jacket and gloves with the backpack sprayer. I never climb on a ladder or roof (or any other situation where I could end up inverted with the spray liquid getting on me). I wash the tank off with water before putting it on. I just go with the backpack because it is much more convenient and I can work faster with it, and it holds more.

Ryan H.

Reed,

Check out this link to Northern for the 2 gal. Solo pump up. It's only $29.99!

Diamond Jim,

Is this the model you use?

I think I'm going to order this one, myself. I like to have them for small deck jobs where I can spray the Ready Seal. I use my homemade handcart/shur-flo setup for the bigger jobs and to spray the strippers/cleaners/brighteners.