Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

2009 Economy Poll

How do you think the 2009 economy will effect your business?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How do you think the 2009 economy will effect your business?

• Not at all
    • Too soon to tell
    • Yeah, it is affecting my business (felt it at some point in 2008)
    • I am concerned for my business (trouble making ends meet)
    • I have had to look into other options to stay busy (adding services or a part time job)
    • I need to find a job (this is not supporting me and my loved ones)

I answered to soon to tell. No one knows what the heck is going to happen in 2009. Every business will be effected, every person in this country will be effected. We no one has ever seen anything like this. Will it hit us in 2009, 2010 or 2030 We all are going to have to pay back all the money that has gone out and will go out in the upcoming months and year. The deficit is crazy

Now how will it effect the pressure washing industry and all of us. The weakest may be the first to fall, but on the other had they too may just hang on through this. Many of the weak will have no choice but to keep washing, they may have no other options, there may not be another job they can go work, they may struggle just to put food on the table but hey a couple house washes a week is better than no job or unemployment that has run out. So even SOME of those who are weak may just hang on and become better businessmen because they have to. Of course many wont and sell their equipment to pay a bill

Like I said many will be effected and you know all of us will, but may not notice it. None of us will have any way to figure what new customers never called. We all may have gotten $1000, $5000, $25,000 worth of new calls that now we will not because of the economy. We may get $15,000 in new work but it could have been $25,000 if the economy was good

You, me all of us will lose work. You will have a regular customers that loses their job or is making less, changed jobs, moved to find work, lose their house or are struggling and they will not call you or I. Its going to happen, it happens every year, just this year a suspect it will be worse, who knows how much worse. It could be and probably will be real bad for some and for others they will barely notice

Now the established company will fair better most likely unless their local economy completly tanks out, a few factories, industries large employers just close down and wipe out a local economy or we could all be devistated if the worse case scenerio happens and its a world wide depression, lets not talk about that I figure that hopefully will never happen is the USA. The established companies like I said should fair OK. They have a good customer base, they have advertisng in place, they may add to their advertising, think up or work harder to keep the calls coming in, they will still get some referalls. Many even if they take a hit will be able to survive. I know myself god forbid if I lost say 50% of my work I could still survive as long as I didnt worry myself to death. I would still have enough income to take care of all my basics

Now the good news some of us and probably many in the industry will do better for some of the reasons I mentioned above, the newer or established will get more work, may land the big one, something great may just keep falling in our laps, it happens, Can you count on it, can you plan on it? No but it could happen. The one fact is you are going to have to be smart and work harder at getting and keeping the work

Let me tell you about me. I lost work in 2008 because of the economy HOA's looking for cheaper bids, HOA's that just have no money in dues coming in, natural turnover, new PMs that didnt know I cleaned the property the past few years, they hire their guy. BUT BUT BUT after I lost at least 45K+ in biz I am still doing 70K more than 2007. August & September were scary slow but then......came the end of September and up to now Work was slamming well into December I never had 6 guys working in December I did until last week. So I planned on having the rest of December up until Jan 5th off. well guess what I am getting many calls for bids, I got a lot in October & November too its kind of crazy, I am seeing trends I havent in the past. I don't get this many calls this time of year I am now, whats up with that. I figure some of it is the properties are just dirty and they want them clean, I figure some were worried and now they waited long enough and are just going to go a head and do the work. Expand your biz, go after the work, go after things you usually wouldnt. I joine an Apartment association. I have my 1st Apratment complex to do starting Jan 5th. Never did any, they always were dirty and a PITA to get so I gave up on them. I got a lead about this association from Dave Vicars so I knew the economy wasnt looking great so I figured I better try different things and this one membership is going to be paid off 20X's the membership on this one job

I was going to have off from Dec17th to Jan 5th....not anymore, I put a bid in Tuesday for a job I got it Friday and start it right after Xmas, I got a front of a 6 story building, I got a small parking garage I got some gutter jobs, its really unreal for me. You know I think I will even get some other work and I will actually have to squeeze it in between the holidays. Plus I am already booking and filling up some more of Jan & Feb. Depending where I put a high rise I got, Jan or Feb, Ione of those normally slow monthss will be the best Jan or Feb I ever had and the #'s will be as good as some of my good months. right now it looks good for JL but I am a realist and a worrywort sometimes so I will keep looking for more work. I have secured some very good jobs. I have a lot of regular annual work and like I said its looking like I will continue to grow. I know something could always fall through, but I will follow what I have always done. WORK HARDER to get and keep the biz and YOU ALL should too

Doom & Gloom is everywhere I worry about it. But you have to put it on the back burner, if you are new or established WORK HARDER, if that isnt working start looking for other things to do, take on a 2nd job, leave the industry and take a full time job on and WORK HARDER to survive. The company just getting by, WORK HARDER find ways to have the income coming in. The companies that are doing OK WORK HARDER. The companies that are doing real good WORK HARDER. From the day we all got into this biz and started to realize we can make it we had to WORK HARDER to grow our biz You had to do it when you worked for someone else when you were a kid and to a grown adult you had to WORK HARD to get where you are today so the only solution I see is do what you know you have to do to succeed in life and that is to WORK HARDER

I hope we as a country learn from our mistakes, if we don't in another 10, 20 years this mess could look small to what could be next. But if you work hard you have a better than 50/50 chance to make it through anything. I hope we all make it through this and hope we all better ourselves and don't forget to help others that deserve it. I am planning on the economy being unstable for a couple years, hope not but am planning

All I got to say is 2009 we'll see you soon. I hope you are the year we see it turn around. Good luck everyone we are all pulling for each other, its kind of nice to have the brotherhood we do on these BB's...Rock on!!!!

Edited by Jeff

First and foremost we must all do alot more praying and have more faith that God will take care of us. Yes it does look gloomy and 2009 already sounds like it will be a disaster but it is what it is we have no choice but to do the best we can. Economic difficulties in this country has led man in the past to think of new ideas new ways to get ahead. When we are put under pressure we seem to become more aggressive to try and survive. When everything in the past was great there was really not alot to worry about with the economy. So keep your heads up and push yourself in 2009!

Check out fhtmdvd.com and watch Todd Rowland s Business Presentation. This is what I have been doing on the side to provide multiple revenue streams. Also check out fhtmus.com/junderwood71. Then email me back and we'll get your new revenue stream started!! junderwood71@hotmail.com

Are you "selling" this? If you are, your post reads a bit like SPAM, and that, is against the rules.

Beth

I am curious what folks think of the mainstay of homeowners that are still getting the same salaries, still paying the mortgage and all the associated expenses. Yet have cut their spending due to 'feelings' about the economy? I think even though my customers are folks grossing 100-400k+ per annum - are talking in terms of 'budgets'. I've been met with this already.

I chalk it up to fear - and perhaps 'paper' losses in their 401k and IRA's. I know for a fact that some customers of mine saw their retirement dip below 500k - and they thought the world was going to hell in a handbasket. Funny thing perception - if I had 500k - I'd be thinking about how I could live in a shack on the beach in the bahamas, clamming for extra 'martini' money.

Perception has to change soon - we need some good news for the media to report on. So people don't horde their money thinking of potential 'what-if' catastrophe scenerios.

Well we are far enough into the year now that I can say the economy is definitely affecting my business. I had multiple contracts with a PM company for shopping centers at the start of this year. A couple of weeks ago they were all cancelled due to the economy. It took me two years to get to that level and I had them priced out higher than others were getting because of the quality of our work.

In both painting and power washing it seems everyone this year is getting multiple bids and even on jobs where I have been recommended people are shopping price. I have never been the low priced guy in my area but now I am getting undercut routinely by 30% or more. On a deck I just quoted I was under bid by two companies who only wanted about one third of my bid. This same customer came back to me with his proposed price for me to PW and paint at his house. I respectfully declined to do the work because I could not do it for that price, with employees and turn a decent profit. He was amazed that I didn't jump all over his proposal because the economy is bad and he is offering me in his words "fast and easy money."

I know he wants to use my company for the work because he left his offer open until Monday. I was also recommended to him by two other individuals he has done business with. Obviously he was impressed with me or he wouldn't keep pursuing this but if he sees a difference between my company and the others that bid why isn't he willing to pay for it? I guess that's the million dollar question right now.

It is effecting everyone. Now they may not admit it, but it is. We would all be busier if it was not for what we are dealing with nationally.

I know I personally am trying to buy American, and also support the small local mom and pop businesses. If we eat out, it is the mom and pop restaurants we go to, not the huge chains. Small businesses need all the local support they can get.

Beth

I can honestly say - this year is turning out to be the worst year in my 5 years getting back into the trades. I've been giving estimates for what I feel is half of what they're worth - and folks say 'thanks - but we're still shopping for more estimates' My jaw has smacked the ground at least 6 times this year in disbelievement. What a way to start a business relationship with your neighborhood contractor - I am beginning to think most people don't care anymore.

As well I am secretly hoping that there are more and more lowballers, so now the $149 guy gets lowballed by the $99 guy - who in return gets lowballed by the $79 guy. I just hope it all gets flushed down the toilet - and I will be there asking for $349, what other guys are asking for $29-$49 for. That the disparity will be so great as to be grotesque even - and value oriented homeowners will have no choice but to go with me.

On the residential side, its a joke. People have bought right into "getting a good deal right now." Our services to higher end clientele has not diminished nor have prices but there is way, way more budget accountability and tracking than ever before. I still say that those businesses that survive will come out of it very strong and efficient and hopefully take advantage of the rebound.