Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Graffiti on wood

Question

What techniques and/or products do you use to remove graffiti from a recently stained cedar fence?

P.S. All of you that I haven't yet put on my links page, I will take care of it soon. Been out of town on family business.

7 answers to this question

Graffitti on a fence is often brutal to remove. The VOC's carry the paint straight through stain and embed the pigment into the wood. At the very least you are looking at a complete strip of that area. (my guess without seeing any pics)

I agree... the solvents of a paint spray is likely to go right on through or at least eat right onto a curing type stains linseed oil. Just like anti-grafiti prevention situations your only hope would be that the stain makeup is some such miraculous makeup that the paint don't go through. Anti-grafiti coatings are of the 2 part poly makeup and I've never heard of such involved in a wood stain before...only a fortification process of urethane or epoxy being added. Is not the same.

With standard wood strip mixes it is not that it is hard to remove the paint. Its just that removing it will also likely remove the stain as well. Spray paint on bare wood comes off with just oven cleaner..least if it only been on less than a couple week. Wouldn't count on spot stripping as it probably not gonna match. I'd do whole section and restain that section.

Before going the strip route. Try some solvents like Acetone or an Ammonia based products or a light sanding to remove. These are easier to blend and fix than using a Stripper with SHodroxide. You also can try one of those Eraser sponge products. Sometimes the pigment is on the surface only and is easy to remedy. If not strip the whole section and redo. I've had to do a couple of Graffiti's on wood