Sign in to follow this  
kmcliffo

Registering Name With State/Licensing

Question

Hi

Looking for some advice on Licensing/Registering the company name. Is this something that would go through the state Chamber of Commerce? Or your local government? we are the VERY beginning stages and are pretty much just practicing/learning/studying at this point. However, i was advised to register the name if it will be mentioned at all. Is this expensive? I'm sorry if there are already threads on this, i'll be sure to search.

thanks.

15 answers to this question

Once you have a name in mind you need to register it as a fictious name with your states division of corporations. Your state problably has a website that you can use to apply for your name online. Here in Florida the fee is $50 every 5 years, but your state could be different. I don't know when you plan to start this business but it will take 3 weeks to a month before you receive your information from them so you better do that soon. As far licensing you will need to check with your County and State to find out what they require. It differs from State to State, for example, here in Florida there is no Contractor licensing but your State could require it.

You need to also check with your local EPA and find out what enviromental concerns you need to adhere to like wash water recovery.

CCPC,

Im In Fla also. are you licensed in any way, Ive heard there used to be a PW licence, but cant seem to find info on any way to licence now. Pinellas county doenst even offer an occupational license. I would like to say "licensed and insured" in my adds.

Jon,

The only license available in my area is an occupational license (which anyone can get). I have called the State, County, and City and there is nothing available. I have had the same dillema. There are other companies in my area that claim to be licensed and insured, but I do not know what licensing their talking about. I have even thought about getting a contractor license for painting just so I can use that. I think painters in this area are county licensed. As a matter of fact, I talked to the Florida Divsion of professional regulations for a long time and asked every question under the sun regarding this issue.

You would think that with something as potentially destructive as pressure washing, if not done correctly, that there would be some kind of State licensing. I have seen a few fly by nights in action just blasting away at houses with full pressure and no chemicals. I almost have to turn my head because it hurts to watch.

Kelli,

Before you get set on a name or do any registration of one, it would be a good idea to check around on the internet to see if that name is already in use.

All American, a very large equipment manufacture uses "The Best Under Pressure" as their slogan and it is trademarked. They may not be so excited that your name is very close to theirs and your in the same industry.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=ca99n6.2.2

post-12-137772137968_thumb.gif

At least in Ohio, if you file as an LLC (Ltd.) or Corporation, the state registers your company name. The state searches and approves (or NOT) your name.

The cost is $125 and it's good until you go out of business. If you plan on working multi-state or national, the rules are a bit different in regards to your business name and should check with each state you plan to do business in.

In our state, the county that you work out of also requires licensing (vendor or contractor) and P/W are required to collect and submit sales taxes by county.

Our county/state also requires property taxes to be paid yearly on all equipment owned by the business (the first $10K are exempt).

As said before, each state is different and it is best to check with your state government and county treasurer on what is required for you to start a business. Your local SBA (small business administration) and/or a CPA may also be good sources of information.

Best wishes on your new venture!

In Iowa there is no license to be had nor is there anything to register in my county. On the issue of sales tax, you only need to collect on commercial clients unless they are anything to do with construction of new or existing property, then you don't have to charge them either. Works out nice for me. :D

Jon Chapman...

I'm Ken J. Schwarz , Owner/Operator of K.J. Pressure Washing,LLC. in Palm Harbor Florida.In Palm Harbor their are no occupational licenses to be had ,but, in Seminole there is.Call 727-393-8711 for their office.It's also located at 7464 Ridge Rd. You can e-mail me at kschwarz@tampabay.rr.com if there are any more questions I might be able to help you with.Good Luck!

K.J.

Thanks Ken. Dont know why I havnt checked into the city.

I did find out that all pressure washing services in fl are exempt from sales tax. I have been collecting for a year from commercial clients. I hate it when gov't gives you bad info. Im just glad I dont have to submit to the state for a refund and send back to all those customers. I wonder how many bids I lost out on because I showed the amount of tax and the others didnt.?

My accountant told me that I must collect sales tax from any commercial accts.

This is if I use any chemicals to clean with.Just water ,no.The theory is just one drop or even a molecule of chemical is let at the job site,you paid taxes for that chemical so you must collect the tax back at the end.Go figure huh?

Where did you find out that we are sales tax exempt?

I went to the tax office to change registration, the lady took a look at my account and said "why are you collecting tax?" so after much questioning she unregistered my tax number. Apparently the consider PW to be 'improving real property.'

I was always under the impression only homeowners were exempt unless you added paint. Trouble is you cant find any one person that is competant to tell you everything.

Check with the local office at

Arbor Shoreline Office Park

19337 US Hwy 19N Ste 200

Clearwater

727-538-7400

I was under the impression that in order for you to charge sales tax, you had to be able (allowed) to be exempt from paying the sales tax at the store from where you bought the chemicals (or any other resellable item). I think that's the rationale behind charging commercial companies the sales tax. Otherwise, the chemicals would be getting taxed twice between the time *you* purchase it and the time your *customer* "purchases" it. It wouldn't surprise me if that's the way the government wants it, but I don't think that's the case. I just charge a fixed amount for my services and write the chemicals off as a business expense when tax time rolls around. Maybe things are different in GA.