Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

How much will you be paying your help?

In the past I've paid guys so atrociously well - and they still didn't give a damn about the success of my company. I let their attitudes run my company into the ground - I take the blame, even though I treated them as professionals and paid them as well as middle school teachers - they robbed my company blind. It's ending - it's sad in a way, and I wouldn't want to work for myself right now either. But guys coming on board are getting minimum wage. And if they're not happy - they're getting let go immediately - everyone is expendable in this economy. No longer will I fear guys leaving me if I don't pay them better. I remember guys complaining to me about how the 'next' guy will pay them $24/hr under the table - yet they could barely brush on a half gallon of paint in a day. Those days of worthless employees are long long gone - there is a silver lining to this downturn.

I am going to continue to pay my guys teh same wages. They have already proved their value to me. The difference is, now, I am much quicker to cut the attitudes. I figure I can usually do whatever it is myself, and do it quicker and more efficiently. Just my thoughts.

Sign of the times isn't it?

Rod!~

I am done Rod - I have taken so many notes over the years on production rates - and then I talk to some more seasoned guys, and they were consistently reporting as much as 40% less man-hours to do the same work I was quoting. And what got me really mad was when I heard a guy I employed over two years ago bragging about how he did all the work on the last project. I was fuming - he was a guy that wouldn't go up ladders - I had to install pump jacks scaffolding on 50% of the home just to get the guy to help me out on some of the medium high work. Then I looked carefully into the reported hours and found out he reported 45% of the total man-hours for the bottom half of the home - it should have been no more than a third of the work. This is the crap I've had to deal with. Margins are going to be tight - guys are going to have to kick a$$ for little money - that's just how things are - the gravy train is over.