Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Clear seal by RS

Question

I have heard it mentioned that RS makes a clear seal but they don't advertise it anywhere. Is this true? If not what is a comparable sealer ( other than Bakers) that is available to me?

thx

13 answers to this question

Yes, RS does make a clear sealer. Sealers you see in the big box stores that say they are clear do have a little pigment in them. RS's clear is clear - no pigment at all. It is not advertized or pushed much because if used, you get NO UV protection. Most contractors that I know use it to do maintanance work. They usually mix a little of the original color RS that was used into the clear just to spruce up the look, so it won't get much darker, while adding to the water protection. There is no price difference. If the customer wants the gray, weathered-look, then the clear is ok, but as most of you know, that is not what folks usually want. They want the natural look of the wood, but you as a contractor need to educate them that the pigment provides the UV protection. That is why the colors are promoted and not the clear. You can custom blend any of the RS colors together or with clear, but remember, you have to match again later, so keep good records.

Edited by Tracy Handl
spelling

Why do you want a clear sealer? There are much better options...

I know I have options. I can't contest the covenant of the HOA.

But my customer wants their fence cleaned and sealed and it cannot contain pigments.

Yes, RS does make a clear sealer. Sealers you see in the big box stores that say they are clear do have a little pigment in them. RS's clear is clear - no pigment at all. It is not advertized or pushed much because if used, you get NO UV protection. Most contractors that I know use it to do maintanance work. They usually mix a little of the original color RS that was used into the clear just to spruce up the look, so it won't get much darker, while adding to the water protection. There is no price difference. If the customer wants the gray, weathered-look, then the clear is ok, but as most of you know, that is not what folks usually want. They want the natural look of the wood, but you as a contractor need to educate them that the pigment provides the UV protection. That is why the colors are promoted and not the clear. You can custom blend any of the RS colors together or with clear, but remember, you have to match again later, so keep good records.

Yea, I understand Tracy. I will do brightening process for the natural look which is no prob. They just want it sealed as well. My distributer here does not carry the RS clear, only their store brand clear. Which they say is as applicable as the RS. But I just want to be certain RS has the clear, because that's what I like best is RS.

Thanks all I will contact RS in Lewisville and get it shipped direct.

Since I mostly use Ready Seal, could you guys go into a little more detail about how you incorporate the "clear" into your maintenance service. Like when you do and do not use it, what are the ratios you use, ok on both cedar and ptp? I take it you don't use it if there are ANY signs of wear? Are these on decks where you have told the cust you do maint automatically every 2 years?

Thanks,

Kirk

We use clear quite a bit also. The only maintenance we use it for is where we've used clear before. It's for the folks who love the look of natural wood, and will pay to have it cleaned yearly. We have two decks and a three season porch interior to do clear RS maintenance on, as soon as the weather breaks.

Armstrong Clark has a clear too. Also they have a very light cedar tone and a natural tone that you might get away with due to it just about looks like natural wood but give you some added UV protection. Or do a 50/50 and get just a hint of natural cedar coloring. Then you can come back every year with the Natural Toner for maintenance.

We use clear RS for the costumer who wants to have "natural grey" cedar deck. Here is a pic after one year.

Maintenance schedule: clean with industrial soap, dry, reapply RS clear.

post-3035-137772239835_thumb.jpg