Sign in to follow this  
drod17

putting together your own trailer package.

Question

I am in the process of putting my own trailer package as opposed to buying a complete one from a vendor. I believe the vendor packages are over priced. For example, if I were to put a trailer package myself these would be the costs.

BE belt drive 4.0 gpm 4000 psi w cat pump 1,400.00

4x6 utility trailer from Lowes 1650 lbs load cap 500.00

100 gal. water tank from internet vendor 200.00

150 ft. hose reel from internet vendor 250.00

150 ft of hose from an internet vendor 200.00

All brand new equipment...

total cost $2,550.00

A similar package from an internet vendor with the same pw is $3995.00.

The only difference I see with this package is that the pw is bolted to the trailer and the trailer is made by anderson trailers. The pw I plan on buying has wheels on it with a handle to make it portable. Can I simply bolt it to the trailer or is there another part that I should bolt it down with to make it a skid mount. I think the $1,500 difference is huge for someone that is just starting out. Granted the reel and the hose on the vendor package may be of better quality. Any info will help. Thank you

11 answers to this question

with a 100 gal tank you will be pushing the trailer to its limits.(8lbs x 100 gal.) does the trailer have 10" rims? i recomend a trailer with atleast 2500-3500 lbs. rating. but it depends on what you will be doing. checkout a tractor supply store for the trailer HD & Lowes are overpriced too. hose reels make a big diff. you might be replacing swives real quick. and fill out your signature so we can know who you are bro. good luck!

i used a trailer earlier in my business and it was a 5x8. i was very limited as to what i could carry on it so if you are talking about a 4x6 then you are extremely limited. if you have a truck maybe you don't need more room but i've got a feeling you will be happier with a bigger one.

good luck,

rando

I started out part time years ago, with a 4x8 13" tire 2000lb cap. set up with a skid washer & 55 gal. tank for chems. or water for doing a quick demo. It worked out ok, but after a couple of years I was welding a couple of hairline cracks on trailer tongue etc. My advice is spend another 2-$300. or so & get a good 4 or 5x8 2500lb good name brand trailer. I believe it would be worth it. Good luck!

As a distibutor I often hear how folks can make something for less than manufactuers charge. In some cases that is true. But often it is not. Here's why. Buying power is something that manufacturers have over single makers. A manufacturer buys parts for assembly at much better rates because they buy more at one time. Therefore the costs are lower. Also, there is usually a planned assembly that keeps costs lower than one time assemblies from scratch. On the surface your numbers look good. I did not see you take into account whip lines for connecting hose reels to the machine, or hose barbs and filters and lines from your water tank. Tie downs or U-bolts, etc need to be accounted for also. Plus labor is a factor in assembly. Most don't count their own labor, but ask yourself, if you worked for the manufacturer, wouldn't you want to get paid to assemble? So your labor has to count for something. The $1500 you say you are saving, in my experience can get eaten up rather quickly when every item used in making that trailer unit gets accounted for. Of course there is also a convienance factor too. Their unit is already made and you just go to work when you get it. That can be worth a lot in itself. Most distributors I know really want to help the contractor. While it is true some items may be able to be made for about the same or slightly less than the selling price, often the savings don't outweigh the efforts.

Thank you for the info. i think i will skip on the lowes trailer and get something that is more heavy duty. Also, I just purchased a belt drive MI-T-M cw 3004-4mgh with an 11 hp honda and a general pump 3.5gpm and 3000psi on ebay (only doing residential work for now). These look like good quality machines. I would like to know if anyone out there has owned one and can share some light on this particular model or the brand itself. i bought it fairly cheap (original retail is 2k) from a tool rental distributor that inspects them and then sells them. Tt was made in 2005. Hopefully I will be able to get about 2 years from it. What do you guys/gals think?

I do a lot of repair for a hardware tool rental here in upstate NY. Their inspection was likely a limited one - something like, has pressure, no leaks, engine runs, - time to sell, The most common issue I fix is the fact that many homeowners that rented them did not have enough gpm flow off of their hose bib to feed the machine, or they would let the machine run without spraying water for an extended period of time or the best one... they would run the machine without turning the water on.

You are at the same place that I was when I started my business. Looking to start it cheap as possible. Beware!!! I ended up spending more in the end... I burnt up the first machine I owned in the first house I washed, my first trailer lasted about 4 months. Your two biggest start up expenses are a machine and trailer. Many businesses fail because they get screwed on equipment they bought and are not capitalized enough to get them repaired or replaced.

Good Luck

MJ

Thanks for the info Mathew, the sale of the PW fell through as I was getting suspiscious of the seller. He wanted a money transfer through Western Union instead of paying through ebay's paypal. There are alot of people out there trying to scam others... especially over the internet. anyway, I want all of you to know the info on this site is gospel and i will keep searching until i find the right start up equipment. my budget is around 3k for equipment.

The info you find here is good and will give you insight from many perspectives, if someone tries to BS you about fifty people will jump on it. Do some research and reading, you will learn a lot to help your business and hurt your brain.

Edited by Paul Kassander

Drod

I'm in the same boat as I'm currently looking for a trailer, yesterday I went and looked at a 6x12 enclosed it was a nice(used) trailer and the price was right but it was single ( 2990 lb ) axle and I know a double axle would be better as far as ride and gvw so I'm still looking. You might want to consider a enclosed trailer being you live in Miramar ( I'm formerly from Davie) as there is less chance your equipt will walk away. If your set on a single axle trailer try to get one with a 3500lb axle/rating.

Edited by Bilge Cleaner

i think that it is lucky for you that the sale fell through. if you are only looking at doing residential then you have to consider the driveways, sidewalks, and concrete patios that will need to be cleaned. if you are wanting to do a professional job then you must buy a surface cleaner. the larger your gpm then the larger the surface cleaner you can use. try looking for a unit with at least 4gpm or more. you won't regret it.

good luck,

rando