Sign in to follow this  
ezdayman

tuff time are here.

Question

10 answers to this question

I'm into April already, but still feeling the effects of the economy.

I am trying to keep them spread out a bit so the ol body holds up for the Summer rush. Not the spring chicken I used to be. Don't think I will taking on a helper this year either. Just can't see putting $$$ into a newbie, after the way last year worked out. UGH wasted efforts and time.

Prices are up on all materials and hoping I can get another couple of seasons out of my surface cleaners and PW's. I am also trying to be Mr. tightwad with the money I spend. Not buying stains until I land the jobs for sure. Plus keeping alot less overhead on the rest of the materials.

I guess one advantage is there are alot less start up pw's so far this year.And my repeat business is what is actually picking up.

Calling my previous customers on a regular basis. Less commercial and more resi's at least so far.

Gene, how did the Home Show booth treat ya?

I am trying to keep them spread out a bit so the ol body holds up for the Summer rush. Not the spring chicken I used to be. Don't think I will taking on a helper this year either. Just can't see putting $$$ into a newbie, after the way last year worked out. UGH wasted efforts and time.

Prices are up on all materials and hoping I can get another couple of seasons out of my surface cleaners and PW's. I am also trying to be Mr. tightwad with the money I spend. Not buying stains until I land the jobs for sure. Plus keeping alot less overhead on the rest of the materials.

I guess one advantage is there are alot less start up pw's so far this year.And my repeat business is what is actually picking up.

Calling my previous customers on a regular basis. Less commercial and more resi's at least so far.

Hey Adrian

@8th-1st is when the show is....getting everything ready.....Hope to get some leads to follow up on....At least I will have a job to do after I give a house wash away...lol

Hey Adrian

Slow here...Show is 28th-1st Getting everything together.....least I will have something to do after giving house wash away at show....L@L

I think everyone is feeling the pinch. I have washes lined up but I have to wait until it stops raining....

Man, send that rain to the Upstate of South Carolina. We are still in our drought situation where water use restrictions are keeping us from washing in a lot of areas. The lake come up a bit this winter, but with the lake being low so at this time of year it doesn't look good for pressure washing this summer.

The economy is hurting us here too. Clemson University has given all staff and faculty five days off without pay and a lot of administrative staff have lost their jobs all together. The public schools gave their teachers and staff seven days off without pay.

My neighbor lost his job in November. He found a new job in December and worked two weeks before that company went out of business.

As bad as it is here I am also feeling the affects of the economy from other parts of the country as well. Some people call this area the next Florida. With so many beautiful lakes and mountain views in the Upstate a lot of people are retiring here or building second homes in this area instead of going to Florida. I drove through sub-division the other day on Lake Keowee with many of these homes and I would guess 25% of them had for sale signs in front of them. I also saw a lot of homes under various stages of construction that had just been abandoned.

With all of this I have really been hit hard too. I am struggling to stay afloat myself. I'm down to eating beans and rice three night a week. I take a sandwich for lunch now instead of eating out. When I go to work and for some reason I don't take my lunch the Dollar Menu at McDonalds has become my friend. This year I was going to get a new hot water skid, but I think I can make it another season or two with what I have.

As bad as all of this sounds, I know there will a lot of work out there eventually for any contractor that can survive. I am going to get my website up like I want it this spring and I am already working on doing a lot more direct marketing. I have installed a larger water tank in my trailer so I can haul my own water into the water use restriction areas if I have to this season.

Yes, we are in tough times right now and it is hard to find work. I may not be one of the survivors that gets through the situation our economy is in right now, but I will not go down without a fight.

Edited by Palmetto Home and Deck

I have actually had the best start to a year that I have had in what will now be my fourth year. That is all due to some commercial accounts I picked up that had their first cleaning in January. We will see what the rest of the year brings. Residential has been picking up and hopefully the warmer weather will keep things going. I have also been pushing my painting again and have done a few jobs already this year. Not booked out very far so when I get back from vacation I need to sell, sell, sell.

Slow, but I anticipate this spring will be good. I have three new and fairly large adds comming out in three yellow books. They come out in March and April. My cold calling has not returned the fruit I had hoped but i'm not giving up. This is my year, I got to make it take off.