Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Alaskan Cedar Restoration Project in No. California... My First Cedar Restore.

Question

This will be my first big restoration project of the season and it’s looks to be a real kick in the pants! The deck is Alaskan Cedar. This will be my first cedar project…deck has little to no failing finish present. There is the large main deck and two other decks (split-level) on the side. The gazebo is really something to behold. I had been eying this project for the last couple of seasons and finally go into production next week.

Cleaning: My initial approach was to go sodium percarb on the cleaning. However, I’m beginning to think the bleach route may make the most sense considering the presence of fungus on this deck. Bleach makes me somewhat uneasy about all that surrounding vegetation...maybe i'm over reacting though.

Sealing: Torn between AC and RS for the sealing. Still pondering this decision. This promises to be a portfolio project and I really want it to look smashing. Deck has not been cleaned or sealed in 4-5 years. This may weigh heavy into my selection on which sealer to use. Just love my RS but have to say that I was impressed by AC in a heartwood project a couple months back.

Homeowner wants the deck to look more “gold” on the color scale.

I’d love some input from all you East-Coast Woodies on this Cedar project... Any last minute advice always appreciated…

post-1749-137772237586_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772237672_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772237684_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772237689_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772237695_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

Matt,

That is a real nice job to start the new season. Lucky you, we currently have 10" of snow on the ground with the low of 8 degrees F. tonight! Wood season will not start for another month.

I know Jim Foley has worked on Port Orford cedar, but do not know about Alaskan Yellow Cedar. If I recall correctly, he had some difficulties with it. You may want to call or email him.

Sorry I have no other suggestions, we work on a lot of cedar jobs but all are Western Red Cedar.

Thanks Rick. Jim, I appreciate your willingness to advise on this one, I will definitely be giving you a jingle.

The background information provided by the homeowners was spotty. Among their recollections was that prior staining faded very quickly. This deck was built appx. 15 years ago and the original homeowners coated it with what the new homeowners could only describe as...."paint-like finish", barnyard red! The new homeowners had the deck sanded to removes the old finish, and then re-coated with a semi-trans "driftwood" finish...manufact. unknown.

Apparently, the new 'driftwood' semi-trans. faded within a month. I'm new to Cedar restoration, but one thought that came to mind was that the wood had been burnished...

Matt, Use percarb to clean, brighten heavily & make sure to let it dwell long enough. I have only done alaskan cedar twice, once with R-S & once with Menwood, which is a high quality product similar to A-C. The Menwood held up much better on the A-Cedar.So I would definitely recommend the A-C cedar transparent & "load it up" if you really want to make it a "model" project. Call me if you want, good luck Matt, Lyle

You have to understand the type of wood to understand what sealer to use and why. They are ready to be sealed after about 4 years of weathering and then sealer will still not last that long. The older the better.

You have to understand the type of wood to understand what sealer to use and why. They are ready to be sealed after about 4 years of weathering and then sealer will still not last that long. The older the better.

Hmm.. Sounds like ... ipe'!

Ipe doesn't change ! It will always be a pain. The Hard Cedars get much better with old age.

Hah! Kind of like old woodies! We're better in some ways but the young saplings may not appreciate the difference.

...still giving consideration to cleaning approach on the yellow cedar.... it's been awhile since i used bleach on a deck... concerned about the mildew growth on the floor of this deck. wondering if the usual sod. percarb brew might be a waste of time with this one...

Close to deciding on my sealer...thinking AC Cedar Trans.

Matt to to AC web sight at armclark.com there are some pics there of some jobs using blends and I think theres one that is 50% red wood 50% cedar tone that would look great on that job. If you have any questions call Jake Clark, he's very approachable. AC is great stuff.