Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Driveway Sealing

Question

How many of you include driveway and patio sealing as part of your services? I don't at the moment but am getting some calls wanting it done. Is there anyone (not local to me of course) who would be willing to train me in exchange for free labor? Thanks.

10 answers to this question

Pete,There's not much to it. Sealer applies with a pump up sprayer or paint roller, and can have a dry or wet look after applied (now your trained). We use Sherwin Williams Siloxane based sealer for most surfaces. EZ money, and a good upsell. There's tons of products available for this type of work, and I'm sure others will chime in on their preferred brands, etc.

I think he may be talking about the black seal coat,...not a typical clear type sealer. Around here when a driveway is sealed it is with the thicker black stuff for paved driveways. Unless he is talking about concrete driveways.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

Any input on doing driveways with the thick black sealer??? At the end of last season I had received quite a few calls to do them. Not quite sure it is very profitable unless you have a spray system set up on a trailer. Not sure how it is priced in my market area.

Have rarely had people ask to have sealed unless they have money to burn. A good concrete sealer is somewhat expensive and most dont want to pay for the extra. Just my own personal experience.

We don't do a ton of it. I probably went through 100 or so gallons last year. There is some things to know. Contact your local brick co. and see what they say about your area. Then talk to a local sealer mfg co.in or around your area. Get some input from them.

Putting to much on creates one problem. Not putting enough on creates another. Time of day, heat, humidity.Water based, Zylene based. How much shark grip is required. Someone slips on that drive and you are the last one that touched it. That may make you liabil. Was it sealed before. What did they use. Remember. Putting it on isn't that tough, getting it off is a whole different subject.

Not meant to put anyone off of doing it. All I'm saying is do ALL your home work.

Edited by Richard

I use 30% acrylic, roll it on as thick as I can with out puddling. If you get bubbles it can be fixed with xylene, if it is xylene based. Water base over xylene is ok, but xylene over water base is a problem.