Sign in to follow this  
patrick k

Huge Condo Job.. Need Help!

Question

Hi everyone,

I am in my second year and for the first time I put an add in local yellow books. I received a call from a condo complex in which they would like me to power wash and seal 41 decks, all 10X12 with about 18 linier feet in railings/spindles. These decks each have one privacy wall which consists of 24 boards 5'x5.5".

The decks are all ground level and are all 1 - 2 years old in good shape, pressure treated wood. I am going to submit my bid today but would like some help on my pricing. I will be using the EFC-38 on the floors, 120 square feet. They do want all of the staining done by brush, no spraying.

What I am projecting is: 41 decks at $240 a peice, and 41 divider walls at $90 a peice which gives me a grand total of $13,530 for the 41 decks/walls.

Does this pricing seem right, to high? to low? This is by far my biggest bid and could really help my company. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Patrick.

12 answers to this question

Step right up with the advice!! Or you can PM me? I am just at a lost right now, I see a lot of people viewing but not a lot of responses... All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hi Patrick,

I have never estimated on that many decks together. What I can tell you is that your price for each deck is very close to what I would charge (spraying of coarse). I have done estimates on several decks together and I choose not to discount at all. Your putting just as much hard work into each one of those decks. Personally for me, I don't think thats enough for hand brushing everything, however what you bid depends on how bad you need the work, and nobody here can make that decision for you. Hiring someone to do the brushing is also an option. Then you get to do all the fun blasting.

Good Luck!!

N8

Power Play Pressure Washing

Central PA

Hi Patrick

I doubt you will get the job at that price. most property managers wouldnt want to pay that much. If you like, give me a call and I will try to help you out with the bid. I've only done about 15 jobs like that though and I'm in Maryland so prices could vary.

I had a job similar to that except there were eighteen decks, they were all on the second story and were only accessible through the apartment to which they were attached. They were about 120 sq ft a piece for a total of 2160 sq ft, plus they were all spindled. They didn't specify whether they wanted it sprayed or brushed, the decks where up against brick and had a concrete pad below them. My bid was $2800 and I didn't get the job(and they really needed it). I felt like that was a very fair bid considering the circumstances. This was last year and they still haven't got them taken care of, my guess is all the estimates seemed too high, oh well.

What stain will you be using?? If you are using RS or WT you can sell them on spending more now and saving alot on maintenace costs in the future. I would go with $.80 per sqft. so your per deck price will be $184.00. This may not seem like much but it will get you in and almost garuntee more work from them. Don't let the brushing scare you. There are tools out there like the hurricain brush that will make the job go fast. Good luck!

P.S. Try and work the guy in charge a bit. maybe you can say look I realy want the job. It will be a great oppertunity to showw the quality of work I do. What kind of #'s do I need to give you in order for both parties to be happy.

Condo complexes are notoriously tight fisted with $$$. I would be very surprised if you get the job at the prices you listed, although they seem to be fair prices.

One angle to take is to see if they will let you do one deck, to demonstrate the quality of work you do, then maybe they will see that a little more money is worth it.

Last year I bid on 18 decks at a condo complex. The decks had multiple coats of Penofin cedar, and were very dark and looked like crap.

I bid $220 per deck to strip and finish with RS, for the purpose of easy future maintenance. I tried to explain how the maintenance requirements of different finishes vary, and I wanted to switch them over for that purpose. I might as well have talked to a wall.

Some fool bid $90 per deck and was awarded the job. I can't see how any money could be made even with just a wash and another coat of Penofin applied.

Don't be too disappointed if you don't get the job.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Tony, I was debating going with a test deck to show them the work that we do and explain the process in detail, I think I will make that offer and if I get the bid I will estimate on 40 decks. I will lower the overall price to maybe something that brings me down below 10k.

The decks I can definatley do at the $1.80 sq ft, it's the privacy walls and the amount of spindles that are really adding up. Again, thanks for all the advice, I'll keep you posted as to whether I get it or not... Thanks Pat

I helped a local company bid on doing a whole complex in Frederick, MD the job was pretty big and we priced it at .65 cents a foot to clean and seal with olympic deck sealer. I can't remember the total price but I think it was around 17,000 or so.

Someone else got the job at around .40 to clean and seal the decks.. LOL

I told the guy I was helping that he was better off skipping the job this time, he will most likely get it next time when the other guy trashes the job.

I can drop my prices and still make a profit more than most companies while still doing a great job but everyone has their limits and morals.

That's cool. maybe you'll get the other complex once the other company finishes trashing it. What's the company in Frederick your helping? I heard there was another one starting up there. I only know of the guy I was helping and Liberty pressure wash. I didn't even know you guys worked in Frederick, I'd thought about working there but I've got too much work to the south of us to send a truck north.

I have a condo complex that I clean 75 units every year.....it takes 4 seasons to clean the entire complex....they only do the 75 each year. I do the decks which are about the same size as described for 295. Each homeowner pays seperately and its a pricing that the condo has agreed to.

Andy