Sign in to follow this  
Doug Dahlke

Downstream test

Question

I guess I am just stubborn. Been reading posts about downstreaming for two years but never tried it on a house or building. I had some time today so I did a test on a nasty tree house. Pictures one and two starting on the left are before and afters downstreaming on a 50/50 mix of 12% SH and water along with some Dawn. Had 150' of hose on and used about 1/2 gallon of chem.

The other two pictures are a different side before and after with an x-jet. Used a 50/50 mix of 12% SH and water with some Power House in there too. Used about the same amount of chemical.

I would never have thought downstreaming would put enough chemical on there to clean something that bad. I will definitely need to try this out on some houses.

The siding on there is vinyl.

post-2532-13777223783_thumb.jpg

post-2532-137772237835_thumb.jpg

post-2532-137772237839_thumb.jpg

post-2532-137772237842_thumb.jpg

17 answers to this question

I downstream everything. Looks good.

I don't see how using an xjet on a house wash would be very practical. With DSing all your chem stays on the trailer and all you have to to is change tips. To xjet you have to carry your chem with you, up on the roof to get a hard spot, around the corner, up on the deck...so on. Maybe its just me.

Looks good Doug. Seee, ds'ing is a whole lot easier. I've been Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning in Pinellas County Florida for a little over 10yrs. I've never even owned an EX Jet. Ds'ing with the right chem tips will allow you to reach 3 and even 4 stories high depending on wind conditions, lance length etc... It's definetly the best way that I've found to perform House and Buildings Washes.

Edited by All Surface

I downstream everything. Looks good.

I don't see how using an xjet on a house wash would be very practical. With DSing all your chem stays on the trailer and all you have to to is change tips. To xjet you have to carry your chem with you, up on the roof to get a hard spot, around the corner, up on the deck...so on. Maybe its just me.

I think most of the arguments between the two are:

With DS, there is degradation of pump and hose

with xj, there is the pesky pale of chems that need to be carried around.

(side note: bungee the pale to a two wheeler and run at it)

( plus more hose can be added to reach up on roof, it will still draw )

Both apps have their respective place in the industry.

I have tried and use both approaches. They both work fine for me.

However I do love my xjet for spraying chems other than 12%, such as hydroxide and oxalic with the close range nozzle for wood and such.

I refuse to DS those chems through my pump and hoses.

I think it is ok to use what works best for YOUR current app.

Everyone's innput is valued of course. But at the end of the day, you simply have to use what makes you the happiest.

When you downstream it is after the pump,when upstream it goes through the pump. I would never x-jet because of the carrying buckets issue. I have been d,streaming for a very long time and have tried an x-jet once it still sitting on my shelf after 4 years. I do go by and blow the dust off from it every now and again.

Yeah Mel, my bad, it is after the pump.

I still use both methods though and I didn't mean to respond incorrectly.

Just was saying to each his own I guess.

I'm still relatively new and I've been using my x-jet for a couple of seasons and I'm now determined to do DSing this year.

there are a couple of advantages to Xjet for the beginner... If you have a small machine with a short hose and you don't have a tank to leave in your truck, the xjet is great because you move the chemical supply with the pwasher. All you need is a long, low cost garden hose to get to the pressure washer. In order to downstream you have to have enough high pressure hose to wrap around the building while the pwasher stays put.

Having said that, I'm really starting to see the profit potential of the business, and the benefit of upgrading my equipment so I can start to use downstreaming effectively.

the xjet is great because you move the chemical supply with the pwasher. All you need is a long, low cost garden hose to get to the pressure washer. In order to downstream you have to have enough high pressure hose to wrap around the building while the pwasher stays put.

Not necessarily. You can still DS and carry the chemical with you, it just sits next to the PWer. As you move the PWer around with you, just set the chem bucket next to it. Its almost the same thing your doing with the xjet just that you would be DSing.

For the down streaming doubters.

These are pics from a 15 day account in Moultrie,Ga that I DS every time and yes........ it's this nasty in 15 days.It's a high volume restaurant I clean 3 for this particular franchisee.

post-306-137772239064_thumb.jpg

Edited by squirtgun

I'm convinced that downstreaming is the better option even though I've yet to try it myself. I plan on switching over this year but have a few questions.

What size chemical tank do you guys recommend? Any is the thing any good?

laddersaver.com

thanks for the help

Doug Lucas, That thing looks good (laddersaver). But I'm a little leary about rinsing with it. What kind of pressure is that thing throwing?

And Doug Dahlke, you left a little green in the first picure!! LOL looks good.

I actually have been kicking around the idea of DS... I already do it for truck washing

I only glanced at the thread...but concerning ds,I use a dual lance wand.Hi and low psi at the turn of a handle.It rocks.Still am on the ladder to finish.Just have to find the correct ratio according to the job.

Doug Lucas, That thing looks good (laddersaver). But I'm a little leary about rinsing with it. What kind of pressure is that thing throwing?

Yeah I don't plan on rinsing with it too much, I am ordering one this week will post my findings after I test it.

From the video and the appearance of the nozzle... It is just a 0040 nozzle with an elongated body. The distance he is getting is the same (or worse) as you would expect with a 0040 nozzle and a 4 GPM machine.