Sign in to follow this  
southernclean

door bell ringing

Question

hey guys I need some advice. We have been low pressure washing for three years now and yesterday day something unusual happened. We found out that a ladys door bell started ringing as we were washing her house. Her elderly aunt was home and said it started ringing around 12p.m. We had no idea and left when we finished. I was called back out around 6 pm to look at it as the home owner became aware by her aunt of the problem. I assumed some water accumulated inside the door bell so I unscrewed the bell and disconnected a wire to stop the ringing and to let it dry out over night. I will reconnect it today. Any thoughts on this? Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone put tape or anything over doorbells to stop moisture?

14 answers to this question

I haven't had problems with doorbells but I've knocked out phone service a few times from getting water into phone jacks that i didn't know were there. The last one put out their phone, cable, Internet and house alarm. Yea! That one was fun... Got the phone jack dried out and still wouldn't work. FYI--- If this ever happens. They have to call their service provider and have it re-booted. All done though computers. No Service call. This was done and all was good.

I have had someones garage door not open but when whatever it was that got wet dried all was fine.

I did have scary thing happen last summer. I was cleaning a large apartment complex, when I was finished the last evening all the power went out in like 8 of the 10 buildings. I was like here we go...but it was totaly unrelated to the PWing. It just decided to wig out at the right time. Kinda scary for a moment though.

Hahaha! That would have freaked me out too Dane. In my mind I would have seen myself having to deal with the PM, the electric company and all of the residents who lost food in their fridges. $$$= AHHHhhh!= :banghead: Good thing it was unrelated. :lgjump:

I haven't had problems with doorbells but I've knocked out phone service a few times from getting water into phone jacks that i didn't know were there. The last one put out their phone, cable, Internet and house alarm. Yea! That one was fun... Got the phone jack dried out and still wouldn't work. FYI--- If this ever happens. They have to call their service provider and have it re-booted. All done though computers. No Service call. This was done and all was good.

Same here. Never had a door bell tho!!!

similar thing once but it was the door locks. homeowner could not turn the key in the front and rear door on a house that i had washed earlier that day. the homeowners were a couple of nice elderly ladies so they called me that night. luckily i was close by and stopped by and gave each door a shot of wd-40. problem solved. i now tape the key holes with blue painter's tape.

final answer,

rando

Got water in an outside electric socket one time. It was covered with a weather box but still got wet somehow. Killed the door bell and some hall lights in the house. Luckly the HO said it happened the last time someone washed too. It was a condo place and she called the maintinance man and all was well. Didn't try to "blame" me they just let me know and delt with it. Was elderly folks too. Got to love those "experianced" folks who don't think "I'm a victim' at first thought and just deal with the issue. Just wanted me to watch that unit next time I wash. All is good.

Been there done that too. This one was about 3 inches from the Pool Deck Surface and under an old window shaker ac unit. OOoooPS! It was quite the smoker.

[ATTACH]11765[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11766[/ATTACH]

post-3757-137772238502_thumb.jpg

post-3757-137772238507_thumb.jpg

Do yall tape over electric outlets or light fixtures before washing? Any other precautionary measures?

The doorbell incident has me thinking of other possible problems that might arise from house washing.

yes and the key holes too

That is what a GFI is for...they are out of code.....Fire Fire

did you light a smoke with that...hahahaha:vroom:

That outlet was definetly out of code and the H/O knew it so he didn't hold me liable. She did light up a bit. I kept washing but kept an eye on the house while I was working. Come to find out it blew the fuse to that whole back section of the house including a pump for a pond with Koi fish in it. But thats another story!!!!:lgtear:

I've had the doorbell thing happen two times on the same house. Pressure washed it the first time, and the door bell shorted out because of the moisture, and started ringed countinusly. Had to remove the doorbell and disconnect the wire.

Came back a year later for a rewash and covered the doorbell thoroughly this time, remembering what happened the last time, but it did it again. Came back a third time for a rewash, and they had installed a new door bell. No problems that time.;)

Here's my procedure for covering things:

outdoor receptacles:

Tape over, unless they have a plastic weather cover on them already.

Outdoor lighting:

Always ask customers before starting to make sure all outdoor lights and fans are turned off (even ones on sensor)

I will cover some lights, if I think it is necessary

Outdoor fans:

I've pretty much gotten in the habit of always covering ceiling fans with plastic before cleaning. If you don't cover, you can run the risk of damaging them, or at the very least, they will usually start to rust if don't cover them. You'll know this when you come back the next year and the fan is rusting and pealing. Yeah, you did that.

Windows:

I always look for open windows before I start cleaning a house. I know this one is common sense, but it is easy to miss one here and there until you really get in the habit of looking out for it.

Cars:

I always evaluate which way the wind is blowing when I arrive on a job, and then see what cars my be in the path of my over spray. If I see one that is a problem, I will alert the neighbor, and ask that they move their vehicle for its protection. They usually appreciate that.

Anyone ever get a homeowner that doesn't seem to realize it's not a good idea to walk out through a door that you are cleaning right around it?

"Uh Mame, that's bleach that's falling all over you, I hope those are old clothes your waring."

Edited by CCPC