Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

What about the windows?

Hey guys,

Got a call to clean & seal awnings (vinyl) for a Ruby Tuesday's out here. Haven't done any awning cleaning yet but have invested in some tapes (Delco) and have done quite a bit of research on the subject. This is an area I definitely want to go into with my business. Before I turn in my bid I'm wondering about the windows below the awnings and what to do with them. They are obviously going to at least get water spots on them after all is said and done (very hard water here in Colorado). Is it common curtousty to clean those as well... or do you charge extra for that? Or do you say nothing at all cause you only commited to the awnings? I want to be ethical and fair yet I don't want to do more than what is expected, without sacraficing quality. The awning in front actually has a glass enclosed terrerium under it. No doubt it is going to get cleaner, sealer & rinse water all over it. Keep in mind that I go by the philosaphy of, leave it cleaner than you found it. Any suggestions are always helpfull. Thanks.

Gavin,

I think I would just clean the windows. What are you going to use on the awnings. You may be able to just use the same soap to clean the windows. Just brush them down and use a squegee to dry them. You should be fine doing that and will not have any hard water spots afterwards.

If they made no comment about the windows and you just do them They may feel they are getting more for there money. I know when I bid on a house wash I always do something extra and point that out after I clean and do the walk around with the customer. Sometimes it may be there patio furniture if they are filthy. It only takes several minutes to something like that. I would say most people are happy when you do that.

A nice looking awning next to a set of dirty windows would look worse than when you started. Best to include the window cleaning in your price and tell them that it is a necessity due to the runoff. I have a similar problem when I do gutters...customers are understanding and like the additional service (increased price doesn't phase them much either for the extras). If you are worried about the glass getting the sealer on it, either rinse the windows every few minutes or cover them with painter's plastic (don't know if that's the official name, but it is a very thin sheet of plastic that is intended to be disposable and can cover large areas). Then clean when you are done.

Mr. Clean has just started advertising a product you can use when washing cars that is supposed to remove minerals from the water when you do the final car rinse. You hook your hose to it (low pressure) and run it (like you do with some pesticides). I'm pretty sure it's based upon a cheap ion-exchange device to remove the stuff from the water (like a deionizer). Maybe you can rinse with that to prevent hard water deposits.

I'm going to use the Universal Vinyl Cleaner from Awning Rejuvanation Systems International. Here's another question: He only wants a one time cleaning, a "spring cleaning" as he called it. That tells me he only wants yearly maintenance or by-yearly at best. I'm wondering if I should seal with a medium term sealer that will last 4 - 6 months or a heavy duty one that will last 8 - 12 months minimum? I guess what I'm trying not to do is cut myself out of some extra work by doing too much of a maintanence-free application.

Ryan, I think I will just up my price a bit and do the windows. Yeah, good idea about spraying down the glass. I've gotten to the point to where I'm always spraying down the surrounding area when using any type of chems or sealers so it's pretty much 2nd nature now. That's a great idea about the car wash rinse too. I might give that a shot. I also have some spray wax that I got from Delco awhile back. I might just try x-jetting that on the windows as a rinse when I'm done sealing.

Also, if he only wants them cleaned once a year, would you guys consider that a maitenance-schedule price or a one-time cleaning price? I was going to charge him 25% extra for a one time cleaning. Thanks again!

Pricing is always a subject of discussion and it is difficult to give prices when there are many factors that we have to guess at.

I would say to give this guy prices for a one time cleaning as well as a maintenance schedule and let him see that he has choices. Many companies offer multiple prices depending on service and often highlight the "Best Deal" package to attract attention.

As far as what to charge this guy, I would charge him the first time cleaning fee. Unless these things are in really good shape, why would you want to give him the discount when he may only come around once a year? Say that you give him the deal price, and then he wants more frequent service? He would then expect a deal for the increase in cleaning and then you have to discount your already discount price., or explain that he already got the deal.

Price it fair, but leave some money for yourself as well. As far as the windows go, I would just do them as I can knock them out pretty quick.

Regarding the windows......Ask the customer when his window washer is coming out, and do the awnings the day before. Then leave the window cleaning to him.

I like throwing in the windows when doing awnings. Trouble with rinsing only and then squeegee off is that there is always extra water in the seams, ledges etc. I wait until Ive put away my equipment and the extra water is mostly gone, then do a full window cleaning, It only takes 1-2 minutes for a large pane and you really leave a good impression.

Gavin, post pictures when done. I want to see how the ARS products work over the general cleaners Im using now.

I have used a local manufacturers product called red stuff, (not related to HD Purple stuff) Contains soduim hydroxide and sodium metasilicate. I like the way it cleans mildew and general dirt but havnt been happy with the results on heavy stains. I just got the starter kit from ARS but havnt had the chance to use them yet.

Oh, okay. I thought maybe you had a homemade concoction or something. I went and looked at these awnings and they really aren't that bad. Regular soap and water will probably get them clean but I'm still going to use the good stuff.

I want to explain how I bidded this job because I don't think people talk enough about estimates/pricing and as a newbie, I think this is the most difficult thing to get down. I realize all areas will vary but I think we can all apply the same priciples and get close. Lord knows I need the help! There are 126 linear feet to be cleaned & sealed. The insides are really clean already so I may just spray them down. I gave him 4 quotes: 1) One-Time Cleaning = 1.50 per ln ft + 25% = $236.25, 2) Annual Cleaning = 1.50 + 20% = $226.80, 3) Bi-Annual = 1.50 + 10% = $207.90 and 4) Monthly = 1.50 -(minus) 10% = $170.10

Now that I really look at it..... hmmm. I want to hear your opinions before I comment. So, did I "get close", "not even in the ball park" or "what the hell where you thinking"?

If your sealing too, then I think your one time and yearly are low. Consequently, the 6 mo and monthly are too high because of the ease of cleaning afterward. Explain the sealing process and why its necessary, then a quick cleaning periodically for bird doo etc. I would go with about $100 for monthly, you wont be there 1 hour.