Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

Flood products

Question

A customer requested Flood clear, but I've never used Flood products. Does anyone use Flood on a regular basis? What do you think of their products. I've had alot of customers so far this year requesting their own choice of sealers/stains. I've got a stain job to finish using Behr's acrylic solid color curry. Personally, I think Behr makes junk, but they want it. It's like a mustard yellow......uuuughh.

5 answers to this question

If you care at all about getting the customer back as a repeat, don't use Flood. You are supposed to be the professional. As such, you need to educate your customers of the differences between pro grade quality, and consumer grade quality.

Tell them you will work with them to get the color they want, but you will choose the product that gets applied. Tell them you want to be their regular "deck guy", whom they will call and refer. Let them know an inferior product will not hold up, and you don't want the blame for that. Steer them into a product that is best suited for the job.

It's easy to do when you are prepared on how to respond to all their thoughts and concerns.

The bottom line is educating a customer about what they will exactly be getting, including a high level description of the steps you will follow on their job. Paint them a mental picture of how nice their deck will look when you are finished.

I like plenty of hands-on sales aids. Pieces of sample boards with your stains on them, for one, and a portfolio of pictures from previous jobs. Brochures are nice, and so is proof of your insurance. They will know you are a prepared, knowledgable salesman, and be more inclined to sign the dotted line.

I would stay away from any clear sealers. They all will start to gray out in about 6 months or so. They really have no uv protection and thats the rason its starts to gray out so fast. They are still protected from water. The more color the sealer has the more uv protection it has.

I would recommend that you find a sealer/stain that you like and feel is whats best for you and stick with just that. I feel as a professional if you stick with one product it says to the customer it must be good. We all have our flavor of what to use and we can all tell you what we feel you should use. You are the one to make that decision for yourself.

If the customer really wants a clear and you want an over the counter product, I would you cabots clear solution. I have had good luck with that product. Its also been rated #1 with consumer reports and most homeowners know that.

I agree with most of what has been stated previously. I would add that IF you do end up using the CWF UV that you understand what you are looking at. It is a VERY thick product and will not flow through a pump up. It will also go on looking creamy in appearance and you will think something is wrong. When it dries it will look right and you will notice any spots you missed. Take Tony's advice though and try to steer them clear of it. Remember it is YOUR reputation you are working with, not there's. Take it personally and you will see the rewards later.

I have used flood on many decks in cleveland....being that it is made right in hudson they have quite a strong following in this area. As long as it is back brushed I've never had a problem. The customers know it will need a maintenance and call every year. I'm convinced that different areas have different preferences....Wolman is like a bad word out this way....Cuprinol is another popular sealer...the cedar tone water base.

Andy