Sign in to follow this  
GAPainter

Project advice

Question

Hi. I have a small job to price and need some advice if willing. I have been doing new construction for 8 years, so I have never really used stripper or brightener. I ordered some HD80 to strip off the Wolman's F&P that was used.

The job consists of just rails, roughly 65 linear foot. They are Spanish Cedar with Mahogany posts. The flooring is slate which as stated by HO will be replaced due to the water barrier failing underneath. I still plan to mask off the slate and a cedar shake over hang at floor level and cedar band and posts under the porch.

Will painters plastic and blue tape hold up to the HD80? Is there a better route? I should mention that I got some Citralic also. I bought the 2lb containers of each. Will that be enough?

I will be applying Armstrong Clark which I recommended (through reading this site). He was planning on Cabot's ATO. He bought the stain already.

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

I tried to post some pics but it didn't work

Edited by GAPainter

17 answers to this question

Keith, you really dont need Hd 80 to remove F&P. It comes off pretty easy. Since you have it (80) coming use it but mix it as strong as it says, start with 4oz per gallon, also that will help make sure you will have enough. You can always add a little more to your mix to strengthen it up needed. A mix just strong enough to do the job also reduces furring, in return less labor, more profit. I can usually take off F&P with 4oz per gallon of EFC38. And I'm assuming your going to apply with a pump sprayer. Blue tape doesnt hold up for me. I use vinyl stucco tape. Home D carries it in Ca. They carry the vinyl & a cloth stucco tape which is the cloth is like duct tape. You want the vinyl, cause clth have more adhesive to break down & leave behind to clean off. Good luck.

Lyle, thanks for the tips. I will look into the vinyl tape at Lowe's. I will be applying with a pump sprayer. I actually thought about just trying the EFC-38 but wasn't sure if it would work or not so I just went with the HD80. I do plan on trying the EFC-38 tho. The rails have a lot of failing stain. It has probably been a year since last recoated. I also have to give him a price on a small well house . The well house is new cedar shakes.

I tried posting 5 pics but when i was on the manage attachments window and hit upload it just said sending request till it timed out. Any ideas?

On a side note, I see you are from Pleasanton, Ca. We just painted a house here for a couple from Pleasanton.

Keith, Your welcome on the tips. I havent uploaded too many pics on TGS, but the picture resolution may be real high, therefor taking a long time to upload & time out. Beth could tell you for sure.

Its a small world, Ive had several of my customers move to east coast over the years. From Mass. to N. Carolina to Georgia & Florida. I was born & raised in Illinois, moved to Ca. in 1980.

Take Care,

I think I finally may have figured out my uploading pics ordeal. Lets see:

[ATTACH]11777[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11778[/ATTACH]

Well I can't get 3 of them to post. I'll try again in a bit. I plan on masking all the way to the bottom floor to the stone wall. Should i just throw plastic over the plants there at the bottom?

post-4808-137772238686_thumb.jpg

post-4808-137772238791_thumb.jpg

Dont plastic the plants, it will burn them, no air & the sun seems to magnify through the plastic. I wet down the plants & use old bed sheets & keep them wet. I do that cause they are easier to dry & wash if needed than tarps. Another option might be fasten heavy enough plastic to the stone wall high & make like a lean to towards the ground & fasten. Thats only if there is enough area for run off to soak in in the bark area. Cant tell by the photo how close the grass is if there is any.

And you need to down size your pics before posting. You can do it in a photo editing software then post.

[ATTACH]11785[/ATTACH]

I want that house.....

Beth

Yea, I'd love to have that house also. It has a Japanese rock garden along with man made streams and waterfalls running into a koi pond. Ill post some more pics if I can get them to upload. I do not know anything about resizing pics.

He is going to want the whole house done eventually. Roof, Siding and all. We are going to using armstrong Clark on the railings and see how it holds up before he decides. I'm not sure if it is a task I can Handle being the size of it and the fact that I have a full time job, but I would love to be able to put it in my portfolio.

here you go Beth

Edited by GAPainter

Keith, with just doing the railing I would say 600 + mat. would be minimum for a professional job. You may need to do some hand sanding also for prep & not just synthetic steel wool for prep. That wood looks pretty smooth.

Keith, with just doing the railing I would say 600 + mat. would be minimum for a professional job. You may need to do some hand sanding also for prep & not just synthetic steel wool for prep. That wood looks pretty smooth.

He is supplying the stain. I was honestly thinking closer to $800 plus materials but I didn't want to be way off. Is that to much with him supplying the stain?

I am trying to take into account that I haven't used the stripper before so it will take me a little longer than yourself for instance to mask off all the areas I will need to mask and I do plan on doing a once over with the sanding, but yes it is pretty smooth right now. As long as I keep the HD 80 from being to strong I shouldn't have to take to much time sanding. Then again I will be working off an extension some too so that all has to come into play.

I dont have any direct expirience with F&P, but knowing the product background I would assume it would be easier than other Wolman products to remove.

More power to you on the lead and hopefully getting the job, but I can't see anything in those pics that would make me want to remove it and reseal if it were my home.

Just my $0.02

Yea that house would be Phat as all get out for some "after" pics for an Armstrong Clark ad. Slate decking?,,,,get out!!!! I think I would have hit that for more than 600.00..Their going to spend 6K on the new floor. With less work probably. (guessing) I call dibs on the basment!!

Yea that house would be Phat as all get out for some "after" pics for an Armstrong Clark ad. Slate decking?,,,,get out!!!! I think I would have hit that for more than 600.00..Their going to spend 6K on the new floor. With less work probably. (guessing) I call dibs on the basment!!

I haven't submitted the bid yet actually. I am going to be higher than that. He has a well house that he wants me to do also(never had stain,freshly built). I am probably going to be up around $1200 with the rails and the well house.

The slate is being removed.Most likely(99% he said) will be replaced with ceramic that looks like slate. There is water getting under the slate so it all has to come up. Would be nice if I didn't have to cover it at all and just mask from the band down and the cedar shake roof on both sides of the porch. 1% chance of it not being removed is enough for me to cover it up.

It would make for an excellent portfolio pic. At this time I think it may be a little above my skill level due to the stripping. I have only dealt with stripper 2x before on a small scale, so I am a bit intimidated by the process. I would just hate to bite off more than I can chew in the beginning.

Anybody have any thoughts on how long it would take you to do the rails from start to finish? I will be using a pump sprayer for this.

I dont have any direct expirience with F&P, but knowing the product background I would assume it would be easier than other Wolman products to remove.

More power to you on the lead and hopefully getting the job, but I can't see anything in those pics that would make me want to remove it and reseal if it were my home.

Just my $0.02

The rail caps have some splitting going on especially in the radius and no protection left. IMO wolman's F&P is crap. He was looking for something with a little more protection, so I suggested Armstrong Clark. He wants to use it on the rails and see how he likes it and maybe do the whole house. It really does need a recoat. You really can't tell from the pic but the house has almost 0 shade except for what the overhangs give. It is in the middle of a field getting beat on by the weather.[ATTACH]11796[/ATTACH]

post-4808-137772238962_thumb.jpg