Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Estimate in the mailbox

I am taking advice from this guy Brian Phillips and Beth Borrego and Ken Fenner and being adamant about meeting folks for a proposal. But I am getting these calls one after another about estimates - and most of them keep asking 'can you just slip the estimate into the mailbox'

And I am commited this season to meet with each and every customer as long as they are in my service area, independent of whether or not I think they are a good prospect or not. But I am just so disheartened at what the business relationship is from the outset if folks inquire about 'mailbox' estimates. Seems that there just isn't much respect from the outset - or perhaps just great ignorance? I'll forge ahead

I used to have that same frame of thought about wanting to meet every customer face to face, but now I realized a few things. Not every customer wants to meet you face to face, and not just because they are cheap, unloyal customers that don't respect your craft, or just because they are looking for multiple bids to pick out the cheapest. They simply have busy lives, and don't want to spend 1/2 their evening, or most of a Saturday morning meeting and dealing with the company that's going to clean their house.

I have many very well to do customers that just simply don't have the time, nor the desire to do the meet and great thing. They find my by way of Internet, trust our abilities based on what they read, I sell them on the phone, and it's a done deal. Since I started doing many of my estimates over the phone, the response has been very positive. Most seem relieved at the idea that I can quote the job without having to go on site, meet with them, and waste their valuable free time. ,They feel that they have already saved themselves a few hours of time and aggravation right off the bat.

Of course I still have the customers that want to meet face to face, and I'm happy to oblige them as well, but if I can, I will always quote jobs of site. I'm saving myself a fortune in time, gas, vehicle ware and tare, etc.

Since I started doing many of my estimates over the phone, the response has been very positive. Most seem relieved at the idea that I can quote the job without having to go on site, meet with them, and waste their valuable free time. ,They feel that they have already saved themselves a few hours of time and aggravation right off the bat.

Waste their valuable free time? What about our valueable 'free' time, Lance? Isn't our time worth something? This is what I don't understand - if people don't want to commit to meeting me - then aren't I just part of the problem of folks getting multiple estimates for a few hundred bucks house wash???? Guys who give free estimates without commiting the homeowner to a meeting - that's the origin of the whole problem of lowballers. Not to mention - if they are too busy to meet - then that must mean they aren't very concerned with what service they are getting - that anyone can perform the service - therefore it's a 'commodity' service - therefore, the cheaper the better.

I disagree - I am selling a service - I can understand if some of my customers are too busy to meet with me, but in the case where they don't want to meet - then I think I will be charging a fee for my estimates. It will be deductable from the estimate if they choose to go with my proposal. But I have wasted far too much energy and time competing with every other hack under the sun that submits a 'mailbox' estimate. I might as well be the cheapest guy if I start that back up.

Waste their valuable free time? What about our valueable 'free' time, Lance? Isn't our time worth something? This is what I don't understand - if people don't want to commit to meeting me - then aren't I just part of the problem of folks getting multiple estimates for a few hundred bucks house wash???? Guys who give free estimates without commiting the homeowner to a meeting - that's the origin of the whole problem of lowballers. Not to mention - if they are too busy to meet - then that must mean they aren't very concerned with what service they are getting - that anyone can perform the service - therefore it's a 'commodity' service - therefore, the cheaper the better.

I disagree - I am selling a service - I can understand if some of my customers are too busy to meet with me, but in the case where they don't want to meet - then I think I will be charging a fee for my estimates. It will be deductible from the estimate if they choose to go with my proposal. But I have wasted far too much energy and time competing with every other hack under the sun that submits a 'mailbox' estimate. I might as well be the cheapest guy if I start that back up.

You obviously failed to understand what I wrote. Basically, your wrong in your assumption that because someone doesn't care whether they meet you face to face that they are looking for the cheapest. I explained that in my post. How do I know this? Because I've done it both ways, and have noticed no difference in being able to sell them my service even though I'm higher priced than most of the companies in my area.

You can sugar coat your service all you want to make it seem like more than it is, but the reality is that the Doctor who's house that you clean doesn't care about anything else except that you will provide a quality service at a price that he feels has value. End of story.

That can be accomplished just as easy on the phone as it can in person.

Maybe I'm just the exception to the rule. Maybe I just possess superior salesmanship skills. I don't know, but the one thing I do know is that the only thing that a person is to gain by insisting to go on site for every estimate is wasted time, and wasted money. If someone is looking for cheap lowballers, That is likely not going to change just because you meet with them in person. Sorry.

Customers will realize your worth after you do work for them the first time. You can tell them how Superior your service is all you want face to face, but it doesn't mean anything until you prove it to them with quality workmanship and quality service.

I also wanted to touch on a few things in your last post. You were talking about wasting our time. I don't get what you point is. The hole reason for of selling work over the phone is to save you, the contractor time from having to spend countless hours driving around doing estimates when you can accomplish in the same thing right at your desk.

Also, I think we may be talking about two different things here. I agree that the hole mailbox estimate thing is riduclous because now you've waste the time going on site for the estimate, but weren't even able to take advantage of meeting the customer face to face. Therefor, your service is nothing more than a price.

What I'm talking about is something complete different. I'm talking about selling the customer over the phone. I take detailed information of what they are looking for, explain my services, processes, etc. look at picture of the property via email. This is selling, believe me it's just done in a more efficient manor which benefits me, and the customer both. The technology is available, and it's stupid not to take advantage of it in my opinion. Successful businesses are the ones that learn to adapt, and use every resource to it's fullest, and that's what I'm doing.

I also wanted to touch on a few things in your last post. You were talking about wasting our time. I don't get what you point is. The hole reason for of selling work over the phone is to save you, the contractor time from having to spend countless hours driving around doing estimates when you can accomplish in the same thing right at your desk.

Also, I think we may be talking about two different things here. I agree that the hole mailbox estimate thing is riduclous because now you've waste the time going on site for the estimate, but weren't even able to take advantage of meeting the customer face to face. Therefor, your service is nothing more than a price.

What I'm talking about is something complete different. I'm talking about selling the customer over the phone. I take detailed information of what they are looking for, explain my services, processes, etc. look at picture of the property via email. This is selling, believe me it's just done in a more efficient manor which benefits me, and the customer both. The technology is available, and it's stupid not to take advantage of it in my opinion. Successful businesses are the ones that learn to adapt, and use every resource to it's fullest, and that's what I'm doing.

If this is indeed what you are doing - then I can understand where you are coming from. Now are you closing the deal before you hang up? Or do you give them a number - and they call you back once they have gotten all their estimates in? I found it hard to communicate a number over the phone and have them be receptive if they got considerably lower quotes. I just find the whole differentiation part hard to do over the phone? Differentiating yourself from your competitors in person seems to be possible - but over the phone - I can't imagine how that works?

I could see it perhaps working if you have a history in your area over the years - and have built up an incredible reputation - and the new homeowner has like 3 friends that have so far used you - then selling I think is possible. But just any inquiry - I guess I just don't understand?

Leaving it IN the mailbox is against the law. Only a US postal service worker or the resident at the address is allowed IN the box.

If they can't be there, you can either leave it on the door knob, maybe risk it being stolen by the competition, OR mail it.

Beth

If this is indeed what you are doing - then I can understand where you are coming from. Now are you closing the deal before you hang up? Or do you give them a number - and they call you back once they have gotten all their estimates in? I found it hard to communicate a number over the phone and have them be receptive if they got considerably lower quotes. I just find the whole differentiation part hard to do over the phone? Differentiating yourself from your competitors in person seems to be possible - but over the phone - I can't imagine how that works?

I could see it perhaps working if you have a history in your area over the years - and have built up an incredible reputation - and the new homeowner has like 3 friends that have so far used you - then selling I think is possible. But just any inquiry - I guess I just don't understand?

I would say it's about 50/50 on closing the deal on the first phone call. As for differentiating my service from others, I've stated an earlier posts that most of my new customers are coming by way of my website. Although I don't have the nicest looking website or anything, it is loaded with information. Far more information than any of my competitors. My web presence and website sells most customers for me.

Look at this way; If a person wants to search for my services, and they choose to go about that via the Internet, they will find my website because in my area of searches you can't miss it.

They look around on it, and their is pages of information about my methods, services, blah, blah, blah. Then lets say they decide to check out another website in my area. Well, there isn't any that rank high that come anywhere close to mine in the way of information. Many are just one cheesy page with a list of services and a phone number. So I'm one 10 steps ahead of the competition before I even talk to them.

Another example would be its like someone going to the phone book to look for a pressure washing service and they find 15 companies listed. All of them have little in column ads that give little information about their company, but there's one company out the 15 that has a four page, full color ad full of information. Who do you think most people would call first?

The other reason, like I stated earlier, that I think I have good success at selling customers over the phone is by simply being a good salesman. I present my self with confidence, not arrogance, and I don't sound overly eager, or standoffish. Sometimes it seems like the more I act like I'm not concerned about losing their business, the more they want to hire me to do it.

I had a guy the other day who wanted his house and driveways washed. He found me on the Internet. I talked to him for a bit and gave him my price, but he said he liked what I had to offer, but wanted to look at a few more companies.

He had two other companies come out on-site to give him estimates, both were almost half of what I was charging, but he called me back and asked if I could come down some. I told him that I can't, and won't and gave him the reasons why. He said he would have to think about it. He called me back the next day and told me that he wanted me to do it. He said the other guys were a lot cheaper, but he felt more comfortable with me, because he said I seemed much more knowledgeable, and he had more confidence that I would give him the workmanship that he was looking for.

This happens pretty frequently. Also, keep in mind I was the only one that never even went on site to meet with the guy. I sold him over the phone.

OH yeah, one last thing. The other thing that I use as a tool, or a guide is that I have pre-printed sheets of information that I use to sell my customers over the phone. Basically kind of cheat sheet of information so I can stay on point when listing out the benefits of my services and what not.

You can't do that when your standing right in front of them. ;)

I agree with Lance, we rarely if ever, meet a client to give them a bid. As a matter of fact I'd say 75% of my customers we've never even met! I don't have a problem meeting them but in most cases it's just not possible. I'm actually the opposite of most contractors, if a customer wants to meet me or one of my techs for an estimate we are rarely able to do it, were just too busy doing the jobs. Sometimes we call them when were on the way out to their house to bid a job and they can meet us but it's the exception, not the rule in my case. Could I charge more if we met with them? Probably but I'm definetly not low balling anything.

We speak with the customer on the phone, explain our services, estimate the job, do a follow up call and sell the job based on our conversations and the information we leave with our bid. When someone says don't you "want" to meet me to estimate the job? I tell them I'd love to meet with them but in this day and age everyone works and most companies that insist on meeting with you are only doing so in order to "SELL" you on a job and charge as much as they can. I tell them I don't want to "SELL YOU". Then I tell them I'm a home owner myself and I hate high pressure sales techniques, as much as I hate seeing people destroy property using high pressure cleaning techniques. Then I say MR. (Mrs) Smith, I want to "earn your trust" through an honest bid, high quality service, and our 20 years of experience without forcing you to take time off work or away from your family to get it.

We close 75% of our bids with this technique and I have time to spend relaxing with the family on weekends.

Yeah, I don't care for High Pressure sales either. To me, it is the same as a "get the money now and b*ll sh*t them later to keep it" maneuver.

My last boss used to call me "Luke Saleswalker" because I was no pressure in my selling technique, but what I sold stayed sold and my return rate was the lowest in the area. When working on a commision, it was painful to come to work and find a big $$$ item returned because I pushed to hard when the customer wasn't sure it was the right fit.

Same applies to contracting and we have built a pretty stable client base as a result.

Rod!~

The secret to successful phone-selling, in my experience, is answering the phone when they call. It seems simple, but I can't count how many customers tell me that they "are waiting" for estimates from others. That is usually a euphemism for "waiting for them to answer the message they left asking for an estimate." My companies phone number is my cell phone - and I answer it if at all possible when they call.

Think about it...the typical customer has been meaning to call someone for quite a while by the time they sit down with the phone book or do an online search. They are calling when "the stars have finally aligned" to give them the time/opportunity to call. The first 3 calls for estimates are met with answering machines. ARGH! On their forth call, I answer. I take a few minutes, refer them to my web site, mention my Angie's List Service Award, 9 years in business, no-pressure cleaning and $1M insurance (and maybe a neighbor or two!) and most of the time, they schedule on the spot. A few need to call back, and most do. Offering house wash pricing based on square footage and distance has simplified and streamlined my sales process, not to mention the savings in time and gas.

To each caller, I offer in-person estimates if they would like and decks almost always require them.

I disagree - I am selling a service - I can understand if some of my customers are too busy to meet with me, but in the case where they don't want to meet - then I think I will be charging a fee for my estimates. It will be deductable from the estimate if they choose to go with my proposal. But I have wasted far too much energy and time competing with every other hack under the sun that submits a 'mailbox' estimate. I might as well be the cheapest guy if I start that back up.

Dan, if you don't want the jobs where owners don't feel they need to meet you face to face, then don't take those jobs. I agree with Lance, many customers are busy, and they just don't want to be bothered with meeting one or multiple contractors face to face. On most jobs I bid, I'm not competing against anyone, and if they like the price, I'm hired. I don't need to sell them, they're sold already. It's much easier on my schedule to go look at the job when it is convenient for me, not when it is convenient for the owner. I'm talking about house washes and driveways and such, not deck jobs or roof cleaning. In those cases, it IS sometimes beneficial to meet them face to face and show them what I'm going to do, why, and why it is worth what I'm charging. Many of the jobs I've done over the years I've never even seen the customer. The money spends just as well as the money I got from jobs where I met the customer face to face!

It has been my personal experience that many owners want to meet the contractors that they are considering hiring. I was in sales for 14 years prior to this, and while selling on the phone is not hard (second nature in fact), there is something to be said for a business meeting. Not all of us (and I do include myself here) believe in or use high pressure sales techniques when with a customer. I'll not go into that any further here, suffice to say what works well for me I don't really want working for someone else close to me - no offense, but I like what we do... and how we do it...works.

If you can't get in front of everyone it is ok. Manage your time as you need to. Just make sure you have the follow up processes in place necessary if you don't meet the client. We have many we never meet, many of them have been repeat customer for years. From time to time when we are in public in a store and have on a company shirt someone come up to us and say "I'm _________ and you do my deck." It's always nice to put a face with a name and an address.

Beth :groovy3: :cup: