Sign in to follow this  
MPPainting

what size pump can I run?

Question

What size pump can I run off a 13hp motor? I called the manufacturer and they told me that what I had was the largest I could run. I've seen bigger pumps on the same motor? I'd like to put at least a 4 gpm pump on? Any insight on this would be great. It has an AR pump right now.

thanks

mike

11 answers to this question

I assume you have a direct drive pump now? 13hp usually runs 3500/4gpm. That is about as good as you can get for a direct drive pump. To achieve higher gpm's (really the most important for cleaning) you'll need to either use a gear drive or belt drive pump. You can add a gear box to most standard carts, but I don't think there would be room for belts - no to mention needing to be able to align/size pulleys. I have a 13 hp/5.5 gpm/2500 psi gear drive cart that I converted from a 4 gpm/3500 direct drive cart that I now keep as a back-up.

AR makes a 5.5 gpm direct drive pump. Call me for pricing if you like.

Oh sure! Now you tell me!!:) Seriously though, would 13hp be enough? What would the gpm's be? (I must admit that it was a few years ago that I was looking to "pump-up" my trusty old HD machine!)

(GPM X PSI) / 1458

The 1458 is the product of .85 engine efficiency times a number that I cannot think of right now. It's a standard of some sort.

Meaning that 13 HP engine gives you just over 11 HP at the shaft, an 18 HP; just over 15 at the shaft. If using a reduction gear boxes, the actual HP will be a little lower as well.

You can put just about any size pump on that motor if you want. We have a TSF series general with a gear reduction drive on a 13 hp unit that does 10gpm @ 1400psi.

Just determine which is more important to you and use the formula, gpm x psi /1100 = Gasoline engine HP required, to determine what you can achieve. Remember you can do anything below the specs of a pump but not more.

post-1827-13777224265_thumb.jpg