Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Bamboo fence

Question

I will be cleaning a 12' high 100' long bamboo fence along with another section 100' long of usual pine fence and a really really good sized pergola surrounded by a mammoth pool.

I've got the process covered on the fence and pergola.

I don't anticipate any different approach to the bamboo for cleaning.

The bamboo sections are not being stained though, just cleaned.

Everything else is being stained.

Any tips, or heads up on the bamboo would be appreciated.

Thx.

5 answers to this question

Yeah, me too. This project is going to be worthy of the Robb Report.

The Pergola has an entire outdoor kitchen under it with really nice tile on the floor.

Can you say sweating bullets, because they waited 10 years to restore and are having the garden party next week. Geez. but I landed it this afternoon and will get it done.

They have added new sections of bamboo since hurricane Ike and would like it all to match as close as possible. But again, not staining the bamboo.

I'm sure this one will be worthy of a youtube slide show with some excellent Jimmy Buffet tunage in the background.

Be careful remember bamboo is individula strands of fibers and not like wood you usually encounter. That is why I used maple at my shore house for hardwood flooring as sand causes the individual fibers of bamboo to delaminate.

Be careful remember bamboo is individula strands of fibers and not like wood you usually encounter. That is why I used maple at my shore house for hardwood flooring as sand causes the individual fibers of bamboo to delaminate.

Noted!!!!

Although the bamboo is only being washed, I am thinking that a reg fence wash mix will clean as if it were any other type of fence.

Thx for mentioning the "strands" as I will also take extra care and use very little psi.

Well the bamboo section came out nice and clean with reg. fence wash mix.

BUT..... It was "greying" like pine or cedar does. Therefore the natural "yellowish" tone is no longer there since it was so weathered.

I thought for sure the yellowish tone would come back to match the new sections of bamboo. Once the yellow tint is gone and weathered, it's gone for good.

The customer was still very pleased at the results. But I wasn't. It simply doesn't match the rest of the fence as I hoped it would.

The pergola came out awesome and the 10' high pine fence came out looking as new as the newer sections replaced after the storm.

I will be staining it next week after the rains. Customer wants to go with the RS dark red. It should come out looking very exotic when finished.

I was just hoping for a better outcome on the bamboo section. I'm happy that the customer is happy, but was simply hoping to get that cool looking yellow back.

I guess it's tone is all in the thin section of coating that looks almost like a plastic film on the wood. Oh well, one for the books anyways.

I'll post a YT vid when done.