Sign in to follow this  
svp07

Asphalt Shingle Test

Question

I have been interested in asphalt roof cleaning but am worried about what chemicals will do to the asphalt. This was especially true for bleach, which I hear some use and others warn against. i wanted to see the direct effects of bleach on the asphalt shingle so I decided to soak a piece of shingle in ultra bleach, 6% sodium hypochlorite. I was just going to leave it in for a few hours, but I forgot about for a day and a half. I finally took it out and washed it off, it seemed to maintain its intergrity. I have also been check it nonw for about 5 days, it is still flexible and strong.

Has anyone else done any testing on shingles?

Steve

33 answers to this question

so basically its just a garden hose with a adjustable nozzle. no pressure. this works on tile also?

i didnt see you mix above. how about posting it. I want to give it a try. Even though Im pretty quick with my surface cleaner, you have me convinced to try out something different.

Yes, the nozzle is just to flood the roof with water to get the excess chlorine off as to not to damage the plants or anything else if there is a light rain. The chlorine does the cleaning. In extreem cases with large size growth spots you may want to use that same nozzle to rinse from the roof or your pw with a soap tip. That is the MAX pressure I would put on a roof. I appliy the mix from the roof with a shur flow hooked to a chem tank. Heres some pics of the wand.- You must drill a hole in a cap to insert the tip-

I have only cleaned one shingle roof, and did not use the surface cleaner. I know people who do though. I just didnt want to take the time to change nozzles.

I would not reccomend it, I think it will do alot of damage. I know you know this but I was posting it for people who may not. Mike, good talking to you today.

I would imagine if you put nozzles in to lower your psi to 500 or less, you wouldn't get a lot of rotation. I'd be damned worried about damaging the roof. Too much pressure.

The right chems and a LOW pressure rinse are the right way to go...What the right chems are is up for debate.