Sign in to follow this  
rick77

Connection Hoses On Reel

Is it OK to connect hoses on your reel with 3/8" Hex Couplers?

I know they wouldn't come apart as easily but the hex coupler would eliminate the bulk that quick connects would create on a hose reel.

As long as one of the hose ends has swivel action it seems like this would work well. Does it?

If you're talking about connecting sections of hose to hose on the reel, then yea that would be fine. Quick connectors are for ease and speed, but don't create any type of better connection.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I would worry about the female quick connect catching on something and coming apart. That's what happens to the QC connection on my garden hose for my pure water system when I'm reeling it back onto the reel and it catches on the side rail of my truck bed.

I'll be reeling away and suddenly the hose just comes apart when the QC catches on the side of the truck. I'd hate to imagine the damage that could result if a high pressure hose came apart while in use.

I'm sure I'm gonna go with the threaded Hex coupler for safety over convenience. In the long run I think the threaded coupler will result in more convenience as opposed to having to work extra to pay for the damage that could've happened if QC connections came apart while in use.

Edited by rick77

Something to consider Rick, have you ever tried to take those ends apart while the machine is running and the hoses are under pressure,...it's impossible and would never come apart while in use.

But,..I also use a trapped pressure unloader. Maybe someone who uses "the other kind" Ha, Ha...can't think of it. But they'll know what I mean,...anyhow maybe they can say how much pressure is on this type. You know, it allows pressure to build gradually when the trigger is pulled, Ha, Ha...

Jeff

I think you're talking about the Flow type of unloader. That's not the kind I have. I guess mine is trapped pressure too.

I still want to go with the threaded Hex coupler so the hose won't bulk up on the reel. And it's a great connection I guess.

I have two 100' hoses on a 250' capacity reel so there's only going to be one connection between hoses. I also have an extra 50' of hose that could be added if needed. That will be QC I guess because the end of the 200' is already set up with QC for the gun.

Thanks for you input!

I don't blame for trying to get rid of that big connection. Also, if you don't already have a high pressure swivel at the trigger gun you should get one,....way less fatiguing and better for the hoses. Ideally have one at every connection,...but I don't so you don't have to...Ha,Ha!!! But I do have one at the trigger gun!!

Jeff

Yeah man......I got me one of those swivel connectors from Bob @ Pressure Tek with a recent order. The swivel connector will be at the end of my hose at the gun. It makes good sense to have one there to eliminate twists in the hose. It's got to be better for your hands and arms. I likes it already!!!

As a side note I'd like to give props to Bob & Andy at Pressure Tek. They've been very helpful to me lately as I've been uprading and rigging equipment.

Also props to you guys here @ TGS for all the great advice you given me all along the way.

The bulk of a quick coupler and a hex are about the same. The hose will only bend so far at the end so if you roll the hose with that section doing a 45° across the reel it really helps out.

If you do not take hoses apart very often then it is a good idea, but have 2 pipe wrenches available because the "hex" will wear off real fast and you will just have a round union to deal with.

Consider the direction of your connections if using QC's.

Also, make use of the hose bend restrictors to help limit the connection exposure to abrasion which could cause the QC to disengage.

If you have a trapped pressure unloader, no way they are coming apart. With a flow type like a K-7, there is a possibility of it but it also depends on the direction of the connection as mentioned earlier.

The practice of completely unbailing the hose and positioning it where you need it and where it will follow helps.

ex; I unbail it in a 8'-10' serpentine pattern perpendicular to the direction I will be pulling hose so that it feeds well on the ground without tangles and catching on landscape accents ond such.

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod

Is it OK to connect hoses on your reel with 3/8" Hex Couplers?

I know they wouldn't come apart as easily but the hex coupler would eliminate the bulk that quick connects would create on a hose reel.

As long as one of the hose ends has swivel action it seems like this would work well. Does it?

make sure you use tapered thread couplers. If you use the straight thread, they won't seal.

Something to consider Rick, have you ever tried to take those ends apart while the machine is running and the hoses are under pressure,...it's impossible and would never come apart while in use.

But,..I also use a trapped pressure unloader. Maybe someone who uses "the other kind" Ha, Ha...can't think of it. But they'll know what I mean,...anyhow maybe they can say how much pressure is on this type. You know, it allows pressure to build gradually when the trigger is pulled, Ha, Ha...

Jeff

To answer your question, yes. Ha, Ha...

Seriously though, with a "flow-type" unloader, it is, if you're quick, possible to disconnect quick-connects. I have done this with my old 4 gpm machine and my current 8 gpm rig. Also, as long as you're quick - and either have the gun open or are adding a new hose - you can re-connect them. (Yes, you MAY get wet performing this operation!)