Sign in to follow this  
RSuds

Strip Sikkens Deck base

Question

Has anyone stripped a deck with Sikkens Deck base or cetal deck(2 coats shiny look). I have a large deck that needs it all off and I would not like to sand all the rails. Tom(ACR) and I are trying a couple of things but would like to know if anyone else has had any luck with something.

4 answers to this question

did you try stripper cream ? The temp's outside have not been conducive for difficult stripping. Once it hits the 70's and 80's stripping is easier.

Edited by James

There is a really long dwell time associated with removing it. HD-80 will take it at full strength with about an hour of dwell, might be faster if boosted with 633-add. We have stripped that stuff many times. Always be ready to do some amount of sanding, since nothing is 100%.

Beth

Plan on sanding it after stripping with HD-80 due to the extended dwell time and the fact that some areas will go faster than others.

Besides, there is often a residue left in the wood that only sanding can help to completely remove, otherwise, it will look darker than it should when stained.

Rod!~

Thanks, I new that we had to do some sanding but I was looking to find something that would help with all the rails. The deck is also raised and will not be fun sanding on latters.