Sign in to follow this  
decker

Equipment and Processes - Looking for suggestions

Question

This is my first post, and I just wanted to tell everyone how much I have learned from this forum - but I am still a wood rookie (wookie?) and I need some help for getting my equipment setup for this season.

Last season I did everything (prep and stain) with a brush and pad - took a super long time. I am now in my second season and looking to increase efficiency, without decreasing quality. I think I can do this by using different equipment, better materials and improving my prep and staining processes - which is where I need your help. But, there are a couple of caveats:

1) I am in Canada, so it is difficult to access some equipment and materials that everyone else has

2) I have no experience using sprayers, so I am cautious in spending $1,000 or more for a sprayer. I am also wondering if it would be worth the money for me, although it seems everyone else says its worthwhile.

I am contemplating ordering the efc-38, citralic and hd-80, but I am not confident I would be able to make the appropriate solution per job. If I don't use that, I was thinking about Cabots problem solver line.

Anyways, I would love to get some input for everybody, and I appreciate any help!

6 answers to this question

DJ,

Your name says it all. Search "Decker" here on TGS, its a HVLP pump unit specifically designed to apply exterior stains and can be used for chemicals.

Any manufacturer can help you with chem proportions. If you can read a measuring cup, you are good to go.

Well, it seems that I have spent so much time reading this forum over the past week that 'decker' must have subconsciously got into my head when choosing a username!

Anyways, checked the sunbrite store and all I see is the deckster. Looks pretty good, but a bit pricey for me. I was hoping to find something between $200-$300 CAD. Also, wondering what pressure washers people use.

I'm just down the HWY from you. You can't get (chems or stains) what a lot of these guys can because of the boarder. You can call me and I'll help you out. As you have already found out there is an amazing amount of info here. So much so your eyes will hurt.

DJ,

I have owned a unit for the past 6 yrs. or so called a Decker 5'er, manufactured by PumpTec, very similar to the Deckster.

What is going on with trade? Canadians (or excise tax) are charging Americans a friggin' fortune for western red cedar. And you cannot purchase decent chems and equipment from the US at a reasonable cost? What happened to global trade?

Lord, its not like dealing with Somalia. We share a vast border, common interests, and history. Something stinks..., probably both in Washington and Toronto...