Sign in to follow this  
TalcottPressureWashing

Cleaning deck for paint prep?

Question

Hey Guys and Gals ,

I have a customer that wants her deck cleaned before she has it painted, I'm going to look at it tomorrow and find out exactly what she wants and what I'm facing, I'm assuming that it is painted already but I'm not sure so,

I'm hoping that I can get some suggestions on what I could be looking at having to do.

Thanks Lyn

7 answers to this question

Thanks For the replys guys,

Well turns out this deck has a stain already on it and she is wanting to have it restained. it appears to be just reg pressure treated wood

It has a cedar tone stain with a uv protector . All I will be doing is prepping this for who ever she hires to stain and paint the front porch area.

I really want to get this job but I want don't to mess up this deck,

Also if anyone could give some idea about how you price this kind of work out

If you don't know the product that is on there or if you know it is an inferior product, strip with a sodium hydroxide based stripper, brighten with an acid. Home has a downstreamable stripper and acid brightener. That would be your easiest route to go. Prewet all your plants and windows, put tube in pre-mix and apply. Wait ten minutes or so and wash with 800-1000 psi. Apply acid in same manner and rinse. Collect check.

As far as pricing, it depends upon how you measure your wood. If its a standard deck with rails and a few steps (< 3) you can measure the floor and double that square footage to figure out your total wood. If there are trellises, benches etc, add those in. On a simple strip I would charge about a dollar per s/f of wood.

If you don't know the product that is on there or if you know it is an inferior product, strip with a sodium hydroxide based stripper, brighten with an acid. Home has a downstreamable stripper and acid brightener. That would be your easiest route to go. Prewet all your plants and windows, put tube in pre-mix and apply. Wait ten minutes or so and wash with 800-1000 psi. Apply acid in same manner and rinse. Collect check.

As far as pricing, it depends upon how you measure your wood. If its a standard deck with rails and a few steps (< 3) you can measure the floor and double that square footage to figure out your total wood. If there are trellises, benches etc, add those in. On a simple strip I would charge about a dollar per s/f of wood.

What if your client doenst want the current stain stripped away because they are applying the same color stain? Should you just use a detergent and then rinse it? Any bleach with the detergent?