Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Expansion Joint Replacement

Question

11 answers to this question

I've been asked to do it before. I turned it down because I wasn't too sure on how to do it. If it's what I'm thinking about you make up a liquid mix and pour it into the breaks between the concrete pads?

Actually I didn't explain. My bad. I meant the wood expansion joints in driveways/ sidewalks. It's usually in bad shape on most of these driveways. Rotted and splintered pretty bad.

I have seen some of the liquid used in cracks in the flatwork though. Never really ends up matching the crete.

I will send a pm to Jim and see if I can bend his ear for a moment.

Edited by Adrian

ABC I think I know what you are talking about it is like foam string that you put into the joint I have seen it done on this old house tv show donnot make fun I love watching home shows.

I meant the wood expansion joints.

Gut out the old rotten joint, clean out debris and replace with a new 1x1 wood joint the width of driveway or sidewalk.

I see alot of rotten ones and was thinking that this could be an upsell.

Most driveways I see are all wood expansion joints.

Keep extra joints on the trailer and have them handy for an upsell during the cleaning sale.

I have seen that done as well Lenny. I haven't seen any caulking that actually matches the tone of the concrete.

Like I said mostly for settlement cracks.

I really do not feel it is a hard service to perform. Just seeing how the problem presents itself, pull up the damaged or rotten wood from the expansion and replace with rubber mallet tapping the new wood back in it's place.

Does anyone offer this as an extention of their flatwork services?

Has it been profitable?

Hello,

Not sure if you found anyone to take care of your expansion Joints for you or not But,

That's what my company does. I can come out and give you an estimate for free.

Masters of Mastic will Remove all old rotted wood, weeds, and debris from the expansion joints,

We will grind all of the expansion joint walls with a diamond bit grinder blade for adhesion.

We then fill the expansion joint with a foam backer rod filler and pour 1/2 inch of our Urethane

Sealant in the joint (Also Known As Mastic). We can color match any driveway and the sealant

will last anywhere from 5 to 20 years. I offer a 2 year warranty on the workmanship.

Let me know if I can help you out.. My email- info@mastersofmastic.com

Thanks

Scott

Kind of an old thread Scott. But it is always nice to know of a contractor I can give a call to should the situation arise.

Thx for the input.

please complete your signature line, house rules.

Welcome.