Sign in to follow this  
gtitan56v8

Help! Newbies machine leaking oil!

I just bought a brand new 13hp Honda w/ General Pump, 4 gpm @ 4k psi. We all know this machine too well, great starter machine. Well, when it arrived at my house I couldnt help but notice a huge oil spot on the packaging. I called the shippers and they admitted to accidentaly tipping the machine over sideways while setting it down, causing it to leak oil...

How do I know if this is going to be a serious problem or if the pressure washer will be fine? What to check?

Also, been lurking for awhile and cant thank you guys enough for the knowledge you have shared. I have spent a sickening amount of hours reading...

Thanks

Where does it look like the oil came from? Call whoever you bought it from, explain to them your issue. They should be able to help you. Dane

The entire machine has a light coat of oil on it so I cant really tell where it came from. I checked all the oil levels and none were exceptionally low. What Im worried about is having gotten oil somewhere it really doesnt belong.

Greg, before you file a claim, make sure you don't have a load at the pump. have someone hold open the gun while you are trying to start. The machine would not have siezed just from the oil leaking out (unless it ran). That's probably the issue you are having.

I have been working on the machine all evening and finally figured it out. Might be good info for others...

My day job is with Rain for Rent, an industrial pump company. One of our pump mechanics gave me these pointers...

If your machine ever tips over there are a few things that need to be done. First, pull the air filter, if oily, replace.

Second, pull the spark plug. When oil gets behind the spark plug it creates compression which locks up the pull cord. So, pull the plug, put a rag over the whole, turn the engine switch off, pull the cord until oil no longer comes out of the spark plug hole. Dry and clean off the spark plug or replace.

Third, there are two bolts on the bottom of the carberater. One is on the very bottom, another runs sideways at an angle. Crack the bolt running at an angle and allow oil to drain out until fresh gas appears. Retighten bolt.

After these steps are completed, switch the engine back on and crank her up. There will be a blue smoke coming out of the exhaust until the oil residue is all burned off, which should take a few minutes. Also, dont be alarmed with black oil coming out of the exhaust, it is oil mixing with the exhaust gas, this will stop after a few minutes as well.

My machine is running perfectly now so if yours ever tips over give these things a try.

The blue smoke might cause your sprak plug to foul up and might need to be replaced after it quits smoking.

Also, all these things were done to a 13hp honda.

Edited by gtitan56v8