Sign in to follow this  
Tegrey

Referrals

Question

Just wondering how many are relying on referrals for their business. Our goal would be to get 100% of our business from referrals. That is a challenge, but look at the benefits. Less advertising, less work to close a job, pretty good posibility of getting each job. We are about 80%+ for referrals now and hope to raise the %. When someone says they were refered, I try to Thank the person who refered us. This helps to keep it going. What % of your business is referral and what do you do to promote referrals? Thank you.

31 answers to this question

Just wondering how many are relying on referrals for their business. Our goal would be to get 100% of our business from referrals. That is a challenge, but look at the benefits. Less advertising, less work to close a job, pretty good posibility of getting each job. We are about 80%+ for referrals now and hope to raise the %. When someone says they were refered, I try to Thank the person who refered us. This helps to keep it going. What % of your business is referral and what do you do to promote referrals? Thank you.

Did the Sun go down? I cannot believe the name calling! Man I only brought up a subject of referrals. You either believe it or not. No one is asking you to drink the cool aid. For those who believe referrals work say Amen. Those who don't go away and start an abusal post. Abuse anyone who doesen't follow your thoughts. Thank you.

The thing people dont think about is you have to work referrals like any other part of the business.

I think when people here this word they automatically think it just happens. Some might come easy while working others and opening that line up is another story.

networking with people who reffer you is work. Its often a two way street....

Thank you Ron for clarifying. Either we should redefine referrals or clarify what we mean. When I was painting back in the 90's - a referral was when someone contacted you who had seen your work and wanted you to do work for them - a customer of yours referred you - hence the term referral. What folks are calling referrals now - is something more like what I consider networking or proactive referrals. There was nothing proactive with referrals back in the 90's.

My first two years in business I would slave over a deck.. damn near perfection. Not a drip or run anywhere. Deck cleaned, balanced, sanded, two coats on floor, all backbrushed, perfect color. Customer would rave over the appearance. I would run home and sit by the phone. Surely these customers were calling all of their friends. Nada. I talked to another contractor and he asked me if I was asking for referrals. I thought, well that's kinda cheesy.. if I have to ask something must be missing. But I started asking. I started rewarding people. Boom.. the referral machine started. I have not put out one piece of advertising this year.

My first two years in business I would slave over a deck.. damn near perfection. Not a drip or run anywhere. Deck cleaned, balanced, sanded, two coats on floor, all backbrushed, perfect color. Customer would rave over the appearance. I would run home and sit by the phone. Surely these customers were calling all of their friends. Nada. I talked to another contractor and he asked me if I was asking for referrals. I thought, well that's kinda cheesy.. if I have to ask something must be missing. But I started asking. I started rewarding people. Boom.. the referral machine started. I have not put out one piece of advertising this year.

I think that was what we said, the phone will not ring unless you work it.

This is the misperception guys have when others talk about this.

You write alittle better than I do Ken,LOL

Well said, hope some here get the point.