Sign in to follow this  
troyt

Can you tell me what this stuff is and what will remove it?

Question

I don't think that this is mold, I could be wrong, but on brick it seems to be black, but on siding it is yellowish in color. I guess could be rust, does chlorien in the local water stain? It seems that all of this is where sprinkler systems hit the houses in the area. Attached are some examples.

11 answers to this question

Phosphoric acid based products such as Prosoco's Ferrous Stain Remover or Oxalic acid based products such as White-Ox (Rust-Away) will remove rust stains from vinyl and brick.

Rust will be orange color on brick also - it's most likely mold & mildew or slight chance it could be carbon deposits.

Pool Shock/Chlorine (liquid) will remove mold mildew.

"No" - chlorine will not stain materials (it will whiten or bleach some materials)

1st pic shows "Rust on Brick"

2nd and 3rd show "Mold & Mildew on Brick"

James,

What's interesting about door #2 is that the mortar joints both horizontal and vertical are all (relatively) clean on the bottom rows of brick. May just be black bricks.

IS the black stuff thick and hard, or can it flake off? Are there little bumps all over it, or is it smooth? Is the water in your area exceptionally hard?

I have seen stuff like this in carwashes, and it is Calcium buildup. It is most common in hard water areas. The Prosoco stuff Paul recommended will take it off, but you will need to work at it. Think a sitff brush, applied on straight, and scrub your little heart out.

Maybe RFitz knows what to do??

Scott Stone

Sorry I haven't gotten back on this one till now. I stopped by the other day and gave it a rub. It appears to come off almost like eraser rubber. I think it is caused by rain water splashing up off the tar/sealer then sticking to the brick. Should come off with pressure and heat I would imagine.