Sign in to follow this  
Richard

How Long Can U Go

What's the longest lenght of hose(s) you've ever run in a line ??????

I've got two 4.5 (=9) gpm's hooked together @ 4000 psi. Water flow won't be an issuse. I've got 1000 + ft of hose. I know I've seen a refferance somewhere in the search but can't remember where.

I ran 500ft when I did Union Station in Toronto , BUT

How much hose can u run. Someone please remind me, I think there was a mathimatical calculation.....

Edited by Richard

Figure to lose 1 psi to every foot of hose. The most we ran was probably around 700-800' with a Powerwasher that was set at 3500psi.

Also the type of Unloader you have can have a cause and effect here to. If its a pressure type Unloader that when you squeeze the gun the pressure begins to rise instead of the typical Unloader where the pressure is there as soon as you squeeze the gun then when using long lengths of hose that pressure type Unloader may stay in bypass mode causing it not to work right with long hose lengths. What kind of Unloader do you have?? Is it the type where the pressure is there immediately as soon as you squeeze the gun??

10 psi per length and 10 psi per story. Anything else you need to know?

Oh, I never saw a fire truck put out 3,000 psi or 5 gpm. Usually around 100 psi-150 psi and 750 gpm-1250 gpm.

There are firemen posting here. They probably have some numbers which might help also.
I'm math-impaired, so this morning I punched the formula for friction loss FL = CQ²L into Micro$oft Excel, and let the program do the calculations as I filled in the values for each variable. The closest hose diameter I could find a coefficient of friction © for was ¾" booster hose, and the figure for 9 GPM through 1000' of hose was around 0.89 PSI per foot.

Pretty close to John T.'s answer, and his figure is really closer when you consider that pwasher hose is usually no larger than ⅜". I didn't chime in with that until now because the algebraic stuff was way too complicated when somebody had already posted a good answer. ;)