Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Timberoil youtube video

Question

19 answers to this question

Beth, that's Dan's deck. I think he was trying to make a point of how he could scrape away the Timber Oil. Unless there was a curing oil or acrylic in that formula, he should not have been able to do that. I do remember Russell saying something about adding some resins to the product to take it a step above RS. I've never used Timber Oil, so I cannot comment any further on the product.

You mean your weren't trying to strip that? No chems on that deck? Just wet?

That's bad.

Beth

That's just a wet deck, Beth. It's been wet for like 3 days straight with one day of interruption and wet for 2 days before that. But Ken is right - the real point of all this, was why was there anything on the surface to scratch off in the first place? I bought into the whole paraffin idea for my own deck - as I don't mind yearly applications. Since this deck gets loads of traffic - the thought of a stain that will blend in perfectly appealed to me. But I just hate it's appearance - never seems to look great - and there is something gooey on the surface that scratches away easily.

... But I just hate it's appearance - never seems to look great - and there is something gooey on the surface that scratches away easily.

Daniel,

Russell sent 10 gals. of Timber Oil last year free of charge. Gave all 10 gals. to a customer that we prepped and stained their deck, so they would have product for future maintenance.

If it is anything like your video, I'll have to go back, strip, and apply RS on my own dime. Guess a trip to check their wood is in order.

Daniel,

Russell sent 10 gals. of Timber Oil last year free of charge. Gave all 10 gals. to a customer that we prepped and stained their deck, so they would have product for future maintenance.

If it is anything like your video, I'll have to go back, strip, and apply RS on my own dime. Guess a trip to check their wood is in order.

Who knows Rick, perhaps you have better luck than me - this have given me a sour taste for parafinnics - whether or not this product is a parafinnic. But the infamous 'soft' resin would explain all the mildew growth I see on my own deck. I'm done.

I have a deck that I am going to strip with this stuff on it...so what I gather it's not a difficult strip? Should I be concerned about any leftover residue or flaking?

yum. I hope so. ...

DJ,

We just stripped and reapplied a WoodTux, WoodRich, WoodZotic, whatever, deck this week. Red mahogany, originally done 2 yrs. ago. The stain has dried without additional help, thank God.

Stripped out well at 4 oz./gal. of NaOH and a bit of surfactant. Used the WoodZotic 50/50 mix of warm honey gold and brown sugar to restain. Pics forthcoming, just finished this afternoon.

post-170-137772334693_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772334703_thumb.jpg

Rick, why did you reapply woodtux and not go with readyseal when you stripped the old finish?

Daniel,

Because I cannot replicate this color with RS. It is what the customer wanted and I obliged. They like it and want a repeat. Plus, I like to take a walk on the wild side, just to keep this business interesting. BTW, this "new" WoodRich actually dries without that silly Japan additive.

Rick - do you use the 100% curing oil formula or the 70/30 curing oil/parafinnic formula? When I used woodtux on Mahogany - it was really easy to overlap in certain places and get shinies - where as A/C it's impossible to get the 'shinies'. As well on Cedar posting - it was so easy to get lapping even when brushing. And it didn't last at all on Alaskan Cedar decking.

Daniel,

The stain used on the above job was labeled "Woodrich wiping stain for hardwoods" or something like that. It acted like a 100% curing or linseed oil formula and was virtually identical to the "Woodtux" of two years ago. In fact we used some old WoodTux leftover from the same job 2 years ago on most of the vertical mahogany. The WoodRich was a clone in both color and nature. I think Russell may have just changed the name.

The stain will lap or shine if overapplied. Not hard to use, considering we primarily apply Ready Seal.

Yeah, that's the 100% curing stain, just a relable of woodtux. I never tried the woodrich 70/30 formula - should be somewhat similar in theory to A/C's stain. Funny how you guys sort of like it for hardwoods - where as I would only consider it's use for future pressure treated products.