Sign in to follow this  
Tonyg

New wood

Question

Last summer/fall I did a deck that was only 2 months old. I wasnt sure if i should try to sell them on it but I think it was Jon Fife that said he did a bit of them so i made the sale. Turned out great. I am doing the neighbors 3yr deck this week and the new deck I did last September looks absolutely great (AC Super Cedar).

I have been asked a couple of times in the past week about how soon PT can be stained. From what advise has been given and the one new deck that I did, I believe the worst thing to do is to let it dry out. Early staining seems to hydrate it so much that I belive the wood is actually preserved much longer. I realize that the first application may not last as long but I think it gives the wood a tremendous head start.

So, what I am looking for is some documention or manufacturer (any) literature or recommendations that I can use in sales. Does anyone have, or is there any "official" written statements pertaining to the staining/sealing of new

Wood?

Perception is reality so if they believe it is best to wait then there is no sale. With my experiences with 1-2yr old PT I really would like to make the sale early rather the waiting. Also, I think this broadens the market considerably. I would just like to offer some type of independent reccomendation.

Edited by Tonyg

3 answers to this question

Last summer/fall I did a deck that was only 2 months old. I wasnt sure if i should try to sell them on it but I think it was Jon Fife that said he did a bit of them so i made the sale. Turned out great. I am doing the neighbors 3yr deck this week and the new deck I did last September looks absolutely great (AC Super Cedar).

I have been asked a couple of times in the past week about how soon PT can be stained. From what advise has been given and the one new deck that I did, I believe the worst thing to do is to let it dry out. Early staining seems to hydrate it so much that I belive the wood is actually preserved much longer. I realize that the first application may not last as long but I think it gives the wood a tremendous head start.

So, what I am looking for is some documention or manufacturer (any) literature or recommendations that I can use in sales. Does anyone have, or is there any "official" written statements pertaining to the staining/sealing of new

Wood?

Perception is reality so if they believe it is best to wait then there is no sale. With my experiences with 1-2yr old PT I really would like to make the sale early rather the waiting. Also, I think this broadens the market considerably. I would just like to offer some type of independent reccomendation.

Flood reccomends to seal new wood right away with their "seasonite" then the following year then put one of their reg, wood sealers on it. Go to their site & look it up. They say to do that so the wood doesnt dry out too quick, I believe. I seal all new wood right away, drying out to quick from what Ive observed can lewad to early cracking or splitting.

With PT I wood seal it when the moisture content reach 12 to 15%. A couple of weeks to a month after its built. The new type of PT doesn't except an oil the same ? All other types of wood I let age until they loose some extractives or you have to gain experience to know what works with the type of sealer you are going to use.