Sign in to follow this  
Roishe Cheng

Recommendations on cleaning this deck

How does a topic on a simple deck cleaning get so complicated and confrontational?

Really shows who are professionals and who are not.

To the Begginer. You have everything you need. Mix up a good housewash with your SHC and simple cherry. DS or X jet your preference. Maybe X jet to get higher concentration of SHC. Soak and dwell.You can either scrub, use lower pressure, what ever you feel comfortable with to create some agitation to remove any stubborn crud just take in caution when using any level of pressure on wood. Final rinsing with x jet or black nozzle.

If you are a non SHC user. Or for the oxi- salesman ready to post, there is sodium percarbonate based agents to mix with warm water that you can mop on, and brush/lowpressure then rinse.

Edited by premiumpowerwash

Let me set you straight. I don't claim to know more than anyone, but I do know quite a bit about cleaning and maintaining decks. If you doubt that, you need to do some reading on this forum. As for you dissing me, I'll take your crap when you've posted more than 20 times. Until then, read and learn. Oh, and just an FYI: I wouldn't have Tim Carter (ask the bumbler) rake my yard, let alone touch my deck. He's a newspaper columnist for crying out loud.

I thought you "big" mike was a pressure washer man not a deck cleaner too. Do you do the work or the hired help? Tim Cater Seems to be more credible than you. AT least he tries different opinions on things that suppose to work. And you? Do you just pressure wash it "big" mike? The oxy bleach he refers to works very good on the black stains like this. Have you tried something else "milky" that has worked? Please share with us in the forum, like it is designed for.

This Thread is getting pretty ridiculous and it's old. Mr Orr gave the best advice with the bleach answer. Pre- Carbs are a waste of money, product and time on solid surfaces (but it does work). Hot water would work better than a precarb and faster. You can use a combo of NOAH and bleach if the black was embedded in the paint. Carry the correct stuff on your truck and use what the job needs. And don't do what the "ASK the builder Says"" There are Best , oK, and I wouldn't do that answers but they all work in the end.

Mr Adams, big Mike is one of the more knowledgeable contractors that gives advice here on the board and has earned the respect of his peers.I advise you to do more reading concerning wood and the use of different chemical before you start quoting the anti christ of wood care and pressuring cleaning" ask the builder" . He is not a contractor and gives advise to the weekend warrior .

the anti christ of wood care

Now Jim, THAT was funny...

My last response in this thread:

3 gal Chlorox Bleach, 2 gal H2O, big squirt of Dawn in a five gallon bucket. Mix. Apply to surface. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. Agitate (brush) if necessary. Rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse. Done.

That is my basic homeowner "how do I clean this deck" procedure.

Was that simple enough??

Now Jim, THAT was funny...

My last response in this thread:

3 gal Chlorox Bleach, 2 gal H2O, big squirt of Dawn in a five gallon bucket. Mix. Apply to surface. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. Agitate (brush) if necessary. Rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse. Done.

That is my basic homeowner "how do I clean this deck" procedure.

Was that simple enough??

Ditto! Simple, safe and effective.