Sign in to follow this  
bigchaz

Brown Sugar to Cedar-Semi

Question

This cedar well is at my parents house. Stained last year with woodtux brown sugar.

Pic one (August 2008)

Pic two/three (July 2009)

Pic four/five (Today)

Was stripped, washed, bleached, and brightened this time around. Lets hope the AC holds up a bit better.

post-2382-13777225414_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772254147_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772254154_thumb.jpg

post-2382-13777225416_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772254165_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

Man, thats a lot of mildew! I have to reevaluate my WT decks.

Jon - you are just starting to come to this conclusion???? I've been seeing an atrocious amount of mildew for some time - and I was hoodwinked into believing a coating can't prevent mildew growth. Off the shelf stains I used 8 years ago didn't support such mildew growth. The only product I am using this year is A.C.

Charlie - I thought you said that your woodtux work was fine? That looks like a disaster similar to mine I've seen in the last year. Thank god for A.C.

Ones I seen...countless others I have no idea. Im scared to follow up calls for maintanance since many of these jobs were relatively new wood, never been stained. When I sold the work I told many of them that I could maintain the finish with relative ease (and savings).

Instead I imagine they will have to be fully stripped (the woodtux didnt come off easily btw) and then restained with AC. I dont know if I want the work since I wont make any money

Charlie - I went back to a pressure treated deck that I did in brown sugar two years ago this coming sept/oct. This was a month ago - the job was beautiful upon completion - when I went back I never seen such a black tar'd looking thing in my life. I left an estimate for a 'maintenance' - for the life of me I don't know why I did - she hasn't called back and I am glad. I told her the price to 'strip' next year - I hope she waits until then. I have another that's in a far away town I would love to look at just for giggles. But I think my 'maintenance' business has been wiped clean for this year. I only have one deck that is maintainable - and that was the one deck I tried a local company's product, California Paints. It's faded but definitely maintainable - glad I tried another product back in '07. We've all been bamboozled!

Charlie a certain 'Pressure Pro' has a convincing arguement that wtw has Acrylic in it - perhaps that's why it was a hard strip? I know from experience - I have these cut up logs from a fallen pine tree that I made into an arrangement in a rock garden. And when I came home from a job I'd throw the remainder stain on those cut stumps/logs {they're standing upright} and the next year the wood tux was peeling away from the tops in large sections like saran wrap! And this is END GRAIN on Soft weathered pine to boot!!!!! LOL!

Ones I seen...countless others I have no idea. Im scared to follow up calls for maintanance since many of these jobs were relatively new wood, never been stained. When I sold the work I told many of them that I could maintain the finish with relative ease (and savings).

Instead I imagine they will have to be fully stripped (the woodtux didnt come off easily btw) and then restained with AC. I dont know if I want the work since I wont make any money

I just stripped a job I clean & seal every year of 3 layers of WTW. Hd 80 at 8 oz /gal 15 -20 dwell in the shaded areas & 5-10 min. in the sun run came right off. Just stick to your word that you'll save them some $ on just go in & strip em & get it over with & keep your customers(unless you dont need them) . Go in & spray your chem & by the time you get the hoses out you'll be ready to wash.

I just stripped a job I clean & seal every year of 3 layers of WTW. Hd 80 at 8 oz /gal 15 -20 dwell in the shaded areas & 5-10 min. in the sun run came right off. Just stick to your word that you'll save them some $ on just go in & strip em & get it over with & keep your customers(unless you dont need them) . Go in & spray your chem & by the time you get the hoses out you'll be ready to wash.

+1

... Instead I imagine they will have to be fully stripped (the woodtux didnt come off easily btw) and then restained with AC. I dont know if I want the work since I wont make any money

Charlie and Daniel,

Once I was able to obtain Ready Seal without ordering a truckload, this was about 8 years ago, I stripped every Wolman F&P deck at maintenance labor cost. Sure I did not make as much money initially, but it was the only fair and honest solution. And given the labor savings of RS maintenance, the changeover has paid dividends.

You want to keep customers, that is a given in this business.

I have been doing reminder calls at 2 years and I havn't been getting calls back for maintenace for the WT decks. Except for 2. The first dock at 2 years was faded but still in fair shape, the second was an IPE dock at 16 months. It was a little faded, but still had pretty good color retention with just a spot of about 10 sf of mildew in heavy shade area.

I downstreamed bleach and every bit of WT came off.

Edit: I found the pics, and I guess the color is more faded than I thought, and no oil left in it at all. But very little mildew.

post-4622-13777225593_thumb.jpg

post-4622-13777225601_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chappy

God - what a scam product!

That's not fair and you know it Daniel. This is on IPE. and it got 12-16 months in full sun. WT may have its problems but so do alot of other products that people used to swear by.

Jon - when I saw the pics, I realized the booboo I made. But on the other hand Scott Paul showed some pics of either ipe or mahogany with messmers at the 2 yr. mark. And even though he was going to strip it - I thought it looked good enough to maintain.