Sign in to follow this  
Curb Appeal

Water under the bridge... (or gazebo)

Question

Hi all,

Got a call to bid this gazebo from one of my regular prop. mgt. customers. He wants it "cleaned off". It really needs a lot more. Repairs, repaint, and the deck needs to be stained (nothing on it now). I'm trying to talk him (and the HOA) into the extra work. His main concern is the cobwebs, dirt and mold on the underside of the roof. My main concern is that the structure is in the middle of a large pond/small lake.

Normally I would just use my simple cherry house mix and be done with it. I talked to Bob at Pressuretek and unless I can somehow capture the water and soap and keep it out of the pond, that's a no go.

Does anyone have any ideas for what to use that won't kill any of the fish, turtles and frogs that inhabit the pond and still get the cobwebs, dirt and mold out? As it stands now, I'm looking at using just straight water and hitting every square inch of the underside of the roof with a little pressure.

Also, does anyone have any experience and/or advise as to how to go about prepping the deck of the structure? It does not have a stain on it now so it doesn't need to be stripped but it does have a lot of mold, bug and bird droppings as well as being gray with age. How can I get the wood prepped for Readyseal without getting any chems into the water?

Thanks...

post-1355-137772257035_thumb.jpg

post-1355-13777225709_thumb.jpg

post-1355-137772257145_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

Joel,

Have no idea of the laws in Tn. but here in the Northeast, get caught with chems in a lake and it can be a big time fine.

We are contracted to do a large ipe' job, which includes a dock. No previous stain, and 9 month old wood. Contract states cleaning with water only, for any structure over water. Ya' gotta' be careful these days.

Is this a lake or retention pond? I would think the environmental laws would be different. If he just wants it rinsed off I would just do water and forget the upsell.

I'd downstream my housewash on it andf keep rolling. At most you would have 2 gallons of straight bleach, total. There is enough water in that pond to dillute it and not harm marine life I would think. If it is a pond then water then it can't flow into "US waters" anyway.

How about this?

Defy Marine Seal Wood Cleaner 2.25# | The Sealer Store

Call me I would like to see this in action if you do it.

According to the MSDS for that, it's just another percarb cleaner. Unless I'm mistaken, even that would be a no no.

This is a retention pond but it does have an overflow. Not sure where it goes but I assume into the stormwater system or a stream/creek.

I have to call the TDEC Monday and talk to someone about the specific rules.

I may have to pass on this one... or charge them out the wazoo...

We would walk away from this job. All you need is some neighbor to call the EPA or your local water authority.

Had a lady do that to us once when we were washing condos. She called the water police because she thought we were stealing water from a hydrant. The nice gun toting officer came, checked the nice legal HYDRANT METER GAUGE we had between the hydrant and our supply to read our usage so we could pay for our water, looked at our water diversion to the grass, then split.

You never know when someone will show up. Follow the law.

Beth

How about this?

Defy Marine Seal Wood Cleaner 2.25# | The Sealer Store

Call me I would like to see this in action if you do it.

Called the city, the county and finally the state. They told me that if the manufacturer professes that the chemical is biodegradable and will not harm the animals or plants, then I am good to go. They had no specific information on Percarb cleaners but I got a letter stating that I can clean the structure as long as I have and MSDS on hand.

Pat, I'll be using the Defy product that you directed me to and you're welcome to come watch it in action.

Thanks again to all for your input...

... You never know when someone will show up. Follow the law.

Beth

Gotta agree with Beth on this. Don't know about Tn., but here in parts of the northeast, some people can be a bit wacky, calling the state DEP or federal EPA over a perceived misdeed. Regulations can vary by county or even town. Sad thing is, even if you are not found at fault, the time and paperwork involved is a pain. If you are violating some unknown regulation or statute, the monetary fines can be severe.

We're working on a large ipe' job presently, part of which consists of a dock over a lake. In the contract, as well as discussions with the owner, it is understood that no chemicals will be used on the dock itself.

This dock was just cleaned with water and lightly sanded. You can see the difference in finish appearance to the steps and bench wings. Yeah, the ipe' does not look as good after a first staining, but its acceptable and a lot better that a multi $K fine.

post-170-137772260631_thumb.jpg