Sign in to follow this  
ogetnom27

First acrylic strip. Need some input....

Question

So this is my first latex strip (looks like acrylic), and boy it's a doosey. You can see in the pics where it has failed and they want to replace it with an oil based stain and I really need a plan of attack. Was planning to try sodium hydroxide, but I just saw a post from Rick saying it doesn't work that well with latex. Job is a total of 1353 sq.ft. Counted each linear ft. of rail as 3sq.ft. Some of it is just a wash and seal (shower stall and exterior wall) but main deck needs stripping. For stripping section, I was going to price at $3.00 sq. ft. For others, $2.00 sq.ft. Both prices include materials. Was planning to rent !8' sander from HD for main deck. Need some advice on the strip. i.e. which product, application method, dwell time, etc. Thanks for any help, Mike

post-5096-137772266048_thumb.jpg

post-5096-137772266055_thumb.jpg

post-5096-13777226606_thumb.jpg

post-5096-137772266064_thumb.jpg

post-5096-137772266069_thumb.jpg

25 answers to this question

... Was planning to try sodium hydroxide, but I just saw a post from Rick saying it doesn't work that well with latex. ...

Mike,

Nothing is written in stone. We have gotten rid on a single failed layer of acrylic with a very hot mix of NaOH plus additives and a lot of hard sanding.

ACR carries a NaOH additive called 633AD along with a thickener/surfactant additive called "Booster". Together, along with 12- 16 oz. per gal. of their ACR 760 sodium hydroxide stripper might just emulsify that acrylic to the point where you will be left with less than a day of sanding. Give it a try.

Some guys use other additives that might be effective. Maybe someone else will chime in.

If you are going for a semi-trans, consider trashing the spindles and installing new ones. This allows easy sanding of the rail system and fascia. Spindles are cheap to purchase.

$3.00 a foot for that acrylic, just in labor alone, seems on the low side. I'd test some strippers prior to making the bid.

Iv'e seen some posts about this stripper. (Dorado 3031)Yes, it's pricey, but worth a shot? Yes Rick, that may be an option with the spindles. I'll price them today. Told HO I would present estimate today. Want to get all my ducks in a row. By the way Rick, nailed a 220 lb tuna on the boat this weekend off the coast of Marthas Vineyard. Will be having tuna steaks right through winter.Sweet. :D

Edited by ogetnom27
added

Thanks, Dan How true, how true. Although, this customer seems like she doesn't mind dishing out the dough. She just spent 5.5k for a new roof (only 12 square!). Hey Dan, maybe you wanna get in with me on this one? How busy are you? I've got a great place on the Cape you can stay for a few days.

Thanks, Dan How true, how true. Although, this customer seems like she doesn't mind dishing out the dough. She just spent 5.5k for a new roof (only 12 square!). Hey Dan, maybe you wanna get in with me on this one? How busy are you? I've got a great place on the Cape you can stay for a few days.

$460/SQ! God damn! That is easy money. Everytime I was bidding roofing - every cheap hillbilly and his illegitimate son showed up. Although last time I was at the lumber yard I asked him about shingle pricing - 30 yr. architectural was going for $20/bundle. The guy laughed at me - I think he said it's somewhere around $30-35 now, is that possible?

Don't tempt me with the cape cod offer - But I have some work for this week into next - and after I am free. But I don't know how much I can help - other than it possibly just a job for paint stripper?

...By the way Rick, nailed a 220 lb tuna on the boat this weekend off the coast of Marthas Vineyard. Will be having tuna steaks right through winter.Sweet. :D

Mike,

The *ell with Daniel, I'll come up for tuna! I'll even throw in BFS II specialty stripper for that deck. Wow, 220 lbs., was it a bluefin or big eye? Largest one I ever landed was a 135 lb. yellowfin, about 30 yrs. ago.

They are beautiful animals, I've sailed with a buddy of mine last summer a mile off shore from Crane's Beach - and saw a whole school of those suckers jumping clear out of the water and then back in. Very fast powerful swimmers!

Mike,

Real nice bluefin! Here in NJ, if you bleed them right and get 'em on ice, the Japanese will pay a fortune per pound at the dock. Terrific catch!

Wish you had not mentioned it, now, after 25 or so years, I'm getting TUNA fever again. Thought that was over long ago!

Welcome to New England, Beth. I've had folks with much worse - multiple layers of paint - wanting it all gone with a semi-oil look - and didn't want to pay alot of money.

Oh believe me, those are everywhere...Maryland too...

Beth

Iv'e seen some posts about this stripper. (Dorado 3031)Yes, it's pricey, but worth a shot? Yes Rick, that may be an option with the spindles. I'll price them today. Told HO I would present estimate today. Want to get all my ducks in a row. By the way Rick, nailed a 220 lb tuna on the boat this weekend off the coast of Marthas Vineyard. Will be having tuna steaks right through winter.Sweet. :D

Dorado 3031 is overkill on that.

HD-80 with a booster from ACR Products will take it. They also have a product called 760 which is extremely hot - it eats just about anything.

Beth

Edited by Beth n Rod

Not stupid :)

We generally will make sure we have various products on hand for estimates - either to determine the difficulty of a job or to demonstrate to the property owner what the job will entail.

All paint, just like stains, are not created equal. Some paint is water based, some is oil ..... some isn't paint, the homeowner just calls it that because they see paint and stain as the same thing.

Testing helps you to properly bid the job - the worst feeling in the world is pricing a job for what should be one time frame only to find you're spending twice the time you planned and using 2-3 times the product. You lose money, which is NOT the goal.

Dave & Mike, Maybe try the search function as I know there is some good threads laying around where guys have used boost/glycol products to properly get at the thick paint or synthetic coatings. A good dwell or soaking overnight under plastic can work to get it good and ready too..

Hey people, who am I thinking of that did that one paint strip with all that raised decking that went over to a stairway?

Hi Guys,

Is there a surefire way to tell what kind of paint is on a deck?

And as far as removing it, does it really matter?

If you literally mean "paint" then no, it doesn't matter. They are all almost impossible to remove. But there are solid stains that vary in removal difficulty and require different chem strengths and techniques. It always wise to do a test spot on decks.

Yeah Ken, I did mean "paint"

I've seen decks that someone slapped paint all over them and I was wondering how you would ever restore them.

I guess there is no shame in a new restorer to walk away from a deck he does not feel comfortable doing.

Edited by starter dave
spelling

Yeah Ken, I did mean "paint"

I've seen decks that someone slapped paint all over them and I was wondering how you would ever restore them.

Dave,

There are what are called solid exterior wood stains that look like paint. If it is an oil base, and mostly failed, a strong sodium hydroxide stripping and some sanding can remove nearly all of it. A semi transparent oil stain then can be used to bring back the natural look of the wood.

I guess there is no shame in a new restorer to walk away from a deck he does not feel comfortable doing.

Great observation and good practice. If you are not confident in providing a service as promised, pass until you get to that point. Its a good idea to carry various wood strippers with you on estimates and test, to make sure you can remove various finishes.

Dave,

If this monsoon ever stops, have some stripping ipe', cedar, and pressure treated jobs to do next week. Come on down!

You may want to contact Tom Vogel of ACR Products in Easton, Pa. They carry everything needed, including chemicals and wood stains, for virtually any type of pressure washing job.