Sign in to follow this  
jhutch

Which Stain Technology would you put on your deck?

Which would you choose?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose?

• Modified Acrylic-Alkyd Hybrid formulation
    • Paraffin oil based formulation

Question

I'd like to know if you only had 2 types of stain to choose from what would you apply to your own deck?

1. Modified Acrylic-Alkyd Hybrid formula

2. Paraffin oil formula

Comments are welcomed. I plan to use results to show customers what professionals would choose to use on their decks.

10 answers to this question

There are more choices than the above I would consider. I prefer a curing oil hands down over pure paraffinic oil stains. A blend of conditioning oils and curing oils seems to be the Nirvana.

Bingo!! Give that man a BIG cookie :)

We have hardwood decks that it is doing just fine on....I'm all about the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

We still haven't found the "silver bullet" stain either - we use what we feel is the best product for the project in front of us...if an issue comes up, we fix it - and it has happened with more than one product line, which simply proves that not every stain is for every contractor.

We prefer the non-drying, paraffin oils, certainly over acrylic/alkyd formulations, and also over "curing" oils such as linseed oil. This is for exterior wood decks.

Jake Clark and company have an interesting paraffin/linseed hybrid product, one that bears watching. We used it on 3 jobs, all last year. Next year should reveal more as to longevity and especially ease of maintenance.

AC any day over that science hybrid thing. If you are limited to two options I assume you have specific products in mind. Just post what those are, so we know what you are looking at

Perhaps I shouldn't have specified paraffin only oil stains. I was mainly trying to see what professionals would use on their own deck.

I wondered if any professional would use anything acrylic.

Thanks for the input and comments. I'm running the poll a few more weeks.

Thank you!