Sign in to follow this  
Rick2

Big opps

Question

Went out for a little rip in the Triumph a few days ago just to put gas in it. Didn't bolt down the hardtop because I'd be right back. Big mistake. Good thing there wasn't a car behind me. Good friend of mine (auto body worker) said it going to cost a few cases of beer to fix.

post-2213-137772266762_thumb.jpg

4 answers to this question

Rick,

Ouch! Good thing you have a friend in the auto body repair business!

Two years out of college, purchased a '74 1/2 MGB-GT, the hardtop, fastback model. The last 6 months they exported that model into the US. Learned to be a mechanic real fast!

SU carbs were a nightmare tuning, replaced them with Webers. Ignition was a problem, replace it with electronics. Got rid of those wacky 'lever arm' shocks in the back and put in custom hard tail springs and Koni's. The entire exhaust system was replaced with custom pipe and cool sounding muffler.

Always fixing stuff, but when that MG was tuned correctly and running, what a fun car to drive. Stuck to the pavement almost as well as the old, 4 cyl. Lotus Elan's of that era.

Edited by RPetry
spelling

many many many years ago I used to drive a Triumph TR4a.

I know how much that must have hurt seeing the top in the rear view mirror.

Did you have any video of the incident. lol.

That'll learn ya though. Thank goodness for friends and beer.

A video would have been a hoot

We've won a few first place prizes with that car. I don't even want to go down in the basement to look into the "box." Might make me sick.