Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

Washer opinions

Question

I'm building a trailer and looking for another cold water washer. What does everyone like the best? CAT pump or Comet? Gear drive or belt? I'm doing 4000 psi @ 4.0 gpm and definetely a Honda engine. I have a direct drive unit now, but people insist on the belt drive. I had Bob from pressure tek give me a quote, but it was a little out of my price range. I might still go with him just to have a custom built washer. I also had my eye on Pro-jet's Bulldog series. I also saw a unit at Delco that I liked. Opinions?

4 answers to this question

Yes you want the belt drive unit, as it will last longer give a bvetter roi. As far as pumps go, I have a General and have had no problems with it. Cat is a good pump and pricey. I have no comments on the Comet as I am not familiar with them.

It will be hard to beat Bob for a comparable unit. And if you need custom work done to make it fit somewhere, then he is the one. I would suggest a larger gpm unit and not worry about the 4000 psi. 3500 psi should be plenty, and 3000 is sufficient for most people.

I saw a 3000 psi, 5.5gpm belt drive unit that I liked. One Tough, I'm 90% decks and siding, is the gpm that much more important? I want to use a 300 gal tank, but I'm afraid the higher the gpm the less time I can get out of the tank. Confused.

You can always bypass water back to the tank. Since you will be using larger tips to reduce pressure for the deck work, you will need to install a metering valve after the unloader to achieve this. Very cheap and it works fine. I got my parts from Bob, so he can set you up on that.