Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Which sealers do you use? How many partial pails do you have?

Which sealers do you have on hand - check all that apply.  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Which sealers do you have on hand - check all that apply.

• Sikkens (any)
    • Cabot
    • CWF
    • TWP
    • Behr
    • Ready Seal
    • Wolman (any)
    • Flood (any)
    • Olympic
    • Menco Men-Wood
    • Cuprinol
    • Wood Tux

Question

Hey folks,

How many types of sealers do you have in partial pails in your shop? Do you stick to one product, or apply many, or what?

This poll reflects a number of products. If I forget any, I apologize in advance. Please check off ALL that apply to what you have on hand.

Post in the thread anything you want to share about application or durability of these products.

Beth & Rod:cool: :cool:

48 answers to this question

Paul B.

I've got a sample board that has all the RS colors on it, just ask for one, hopefully they can still provide one for you.

If not, I've got most of the RS colors in stock, and I could easily make something up for you.

Thanks Tony!!!

What I'm looking for now are a couple of photos of Ready Seal "Medium Brown"

on Pressure Treated Wood for a customer that is stuck between Medium and Dark Brown. The job has already started (2-tone) and will be another week before I need her decision. All the ones on PTW we have done are Dark Brown.

I've got all the colors on boards now (6" wide x 12" lg.) but on a small scale, the differences are not as negligable between dark and medium brown. I've sent them driving to a couple of other customer's decks to see what the dark looks like on a large scale. Photos of the Medium Brown would help, as the ones I gave them of the Dark Brown matched up well with what they have seen.

I was and still would be interested in color charts (easier to mail to customers)with the estimates. I printed out colors off the net, but they don't do them justice.

Tony has a picture or two on either this board or WoodCare.org board of medium brown. If my old timers memory isn't failiing me he has used the darker browns before. Maybe he can repost the pics.

Reed

Thanks Reed!

I've searched many hours for photos of Medium Brown Ready Seal on PTW both here and on other sites without finding even ONE.

Dark and Light Brown are very popular and I have photos out the left ear of Dark Brown. 98% seem to chose Dark Brown in conservative Cincinnati.

Actually the photo Reeds' thinking of was done in TWP Dark Oak, which really is a dark brown.

I've got 10 gallons of RS medium brown in the garage from a job that fell thru (long story) a couple years back. Ironically, I just ordered more RS medium brown from Pierce today, for an upcoming deck that will be stained with it. I do not get many requests for stains that dark, and have never used RS dark brown either.

What I was offering was to brush out some samples on a piece of wood for you Paul, but it sounds like you already have something similar. I'm big on using visuals in my presentations too, and I like having wood samples on hand.

I've given up on trying to get accurate representations to print out correctly, and the brochures from RS are not very good either. Do you have any of the tri-fold color brochures from RS?

I've been a little concerned that the gold colors won't hold up well in locations with moderate to extreme sun exposure. Is that the case with warm honey gold?

Tony,

Not that we have seen. We have visited a large number of decks and fences in a variety of colors and all are holding up well, both vertically and horizontally. Of particular interest, is that despite a VERY wet season last year the decks and fences are not showing signs of mildew growth. The mildewcide and antifungal in WT kick boody. :cool:

Beth :groovy3:

Seymore,

According to an individual who reported you to us, I understand you are a distributor for the product you mentioned above. We only allow advertising for our manufacturers here. It's a benefit they have in us being their distributor. We do allow others who do not sell products for themselves, for another company or to earn a commission to mention products and their uses as it is beneficial to all, but we do draw the line. In other words they simply use them on the job but don't sell.

If you have any questions, please contact us directly.

Beth :groovy3:

Hey Beth and everyone else.

Has anyone run acrossed a deck sealing product under the label Valspar?

I've got a client with this stuff on his deck and I've tried every stripper I know of and nothing touches it. It's made by the company that created goof off. Maybe I should try some of that? LOL

Henry this is the contact info for Valspar.It appears they make a line of stains for decks.

Valspar Consumer Products Customer Service

1191 Wheeling Road

Wheeling, IL 60090

USA

Phone: 800-845-9061

Fax: 847-541-8584

Email: techsupport@valspar.com

McCloskey Faux and Wood Finishes Customer Service

1191 Wheeling Road

Wheeling, IL 60090

USA

Phone: 800-345-4530

Fax: 847-541-8584

Email: techsupport@valspar.com

Plasti-Kote brand spray paints

Customer Service

1000 Lake Road

Medina, OH 44258

USA

Phone: 800-431-5928

Phone: 330-725-4511

Fax: 330-723-3674

Hi Henry,

I don't suppose they had the can did they? I am not certain of the type of sealer it is....What does it look like? Is it a film or a penetrating oil? By whatyou say it would suspect a film, since an oil can be removed with a SH product. On the other hand, if it is an polymer resin, or an acrylic, or something like that you may be in for a rough road.

http://www.valspar.com/val/resident/ext_stains.jsp#

http://www.valspar.com/val/resident/mccloskey_ext.jsp

This next one seems like it might be close to having the product listed: http://www.valspar.com/val/resident/valspar_ext.jsp

If it is the acrylic, then you may have a tough road. If you need another sample let me know. You may be looking at an hour of dwell time on this. Just a hunch...

Beth:groovy3:

Valspar has the "American Tradition" interior/exterior paints and the

"Severe Weather" Wood Protector and Deck & Siding Stain. (In my area at least)...they are sold at Lowe's.

Their line is water based with the solid being 100% acrylic.

Valspar seems to be sold in smaller mom&pop hardwares, at least here anyway. Hopefully that will limit the exposure to it. About 10 years ago, CWF had a limited distribution, and was not carried in many of the stores. Now it's sold in most. I get my share of CWF decks, not fun.

I'm noticing more and more acrylic products available. We all may soon get plenty of "rough roads" to travel.

Check out this link to Thompsons..... http://www.deck-wash.com/forums/index.cfm

Even they are now promoting latex based products.

The client contacted the manufacturer... and this is what he was told...

best d afternoon,

In response to your request the Fir toned finish #25053 is still a current product. You have to clean the wood deck by pressure washing and then you need to clean with a deck wash. If you can't find a deck wash then use 1 quart of bleach to 3 quarts of water. You have to do that to kill any mold or mildew that might be in the surface. After you clean then rinse let the surface dry for 2 days of good warm weather. After drying I would recommend sanding the surface to remove any loose wood fibers. Then you want to check the fir color to be sure you like it. The wood will alter the stain. After that then you should stain 5 to 7 boards at a time then apply a 2nd coat. You should due a 2nd coat within 30 minutes of the first coat. You want to do that while the surface is still absorbing and it will give your deck surface the best protection. Once the toner seals your deck surface then the surface is sealed. If you try to apply another coat after a 1 hour, 4 hours, or over night then the first coat will repel the 2nd coat. It will not dry and it is hard to remove it. I hope this helps you. My name is Rick@1-800-323-5129x8559. If I can be of any other service to you please feel free to contact me and I will do what I can to help you. Thank you for your interest in Valspar and I hope you have a great day.

Rick Runyon

Technical Support

The Valspar Corporation

(800) 323-5129 x8559

rrunyon@valspar.com

This is what I told the client

1. You never use bleach on a deck, it damages the woods lignin fibers.

2. Even if you did use bleach, you have to neutralize the surface before staining.

3. Power washing alone will not remove the existing stain.

4. By following his process, I would still be applying the new stain over the existing stain. As he mentioned, the product will not adhere to itself. I'm going to call tech support tomorrow and see if I can talk to someone else about it.

Hey Beth can we redo this post all over. I thought it would interesting to see what the difference on picks is now? Maybe it will show a swing in other products.It also might be neat to hear and see the difference over the past months. I thought I'd ask since you posted it first. =)

:applause:

:lgbow: