Sign in to follow this  
gutterdog

Washing concrete around a pool

Question

I sold a job. Big residential job. Nice house!

I gotta get a surface cleaner.

I have plenty of experience with turbo nozze. With common sense.

The increased speed, higher quality told.

looks like I have to put getting newer higher gpm. pump off.

(a couple of people know I want to replace pump soon,)

Back to subject. Ive watched many videos. MANY. Washing concrete around pools.

Some by guys in here.

You take the surface cleaner right up to the edge of pools!

Uhhhh....

My brain is full from the long thread from apple roofing, and that IS easy to remeber, Good name.

what first half of day turned out to be.

Trying that out tuesday.

Everything else I GOT on this job, just the pool thing?

Thank you Grime Scene.

Please hit me up!

I know.. get a surface cleaner....

This is 1 thing that meses me up.

Ive seen ads for surface cleaners that say 0 tip nozzles?

And 15.

Wouldnt 15 be better, since my turbo nozzle so bad?

Ive, in the past couple months been checkin out surface cleaners I can afford.

I have a pool to do around 22 this month.

I've never done one before.

20 answers to this question

Hi Mike, good talking with you the other night but I lost the connection.

I've done a million of these concrete pool areas. Don't do it without a surface cleaner, it will come out awful. Let the customer know that some dirt will get into the pool when you do the edges but there isn't much that can be done about it. Also find where the wash water will "pool" up on the concrete (the low spots) and do those areas first. If you save those areas for last your surface will be trying to blast through several inches of water just to get to the concrete. It will not be as clean as the rest of the concrete.

Hope this helps.

PS I've seen some pretty good deals on ebay for surface cleaners. Just be sure you don't buy some unknown brand.

Best results I have achieved with pool decks, cool decks, etc is by applying 1 part muriatic acid to 10 parts water (always add acid to water, never water to acid). Let dwell for maybe 10 minutes followed by a low pressure rinse.

Surface cleaner or high pressure = trouble on pool decking.

Ive had good results by just X-Jetting a strong mix of 12% and your choice of soap let dwell for 10 min and a low pressure rinse.

That patio looks like it more loose dirt than anything, Im with William though, here concrete patios are the same as the driveway surface cleaner and get out.

John

On the same topic, can you safely clean a aggregate area with a surface cleaner around a pool? I have a bid for a Brick patio and pool skirt.. Surface cleaner or the wand??? picks enclosed.

Thanks in advance

Dan

post-5588-137772274538_thumb.jpg

post-5588-137772274593_thumb.jpg

Edited by netspider

You can adust your pressures on a surface cleaner just like on your wand. Change the orifice size and the result will be a different pressure. Also, the degree will change the impact. so use the combibation to get whatever pressure you need. Most folk I talk to use the surface cleaner and use a suitable pressure.

Hi Mike, good talking with you the other night but I lost the connection.

I've done a million of these concrete pool areas. Don't do it without a surface cleaner, it will come out awful. Let the customer know that some dirt will get into the pool when you do the edges but there isn't much that can be done about it. Also find where the wash water will "pool" up on the concrete (the low spots) and do those areas first. If you save those areas for last your surface will be trying to blast through several inches of water just to get to the concrete. It will not be as clean as the rest of the concrete.

Hope this helps.

PS I've seen some pretty good deals on ebay for surface cleaners. Just be sure you don't buy some unknown brand.

I took you advice, and went and checked out e-bay, the other day. Seen a few for 300 bucks! They were new too! 12 or 16 inch? I dont think a real wide one I want right now, plus the price.

Awesome advice about the low spots! That is experience talking thanx!

Question about tips. Are they the same tips as on the wand? With quick connects or do they screw in?

I'm thinking a 0 tip would do damage? Since that is the same as the turbo nozzle.

I took you advice, and went and checked out e-bay, the other day. Seen a few for 300 bucks! They were new too! 12 or 16 inch? I dont think a real wide one I want right now, plus the price.

Awesome advice about the low spots! That is experience talking thanx!

Question about tips. Are they the same tips as on the wand? With quick connects or do they screw in?

I'm thinking a 0 tip would do damage? Since that is the same as the turbo nozzle.

Mike. get a 20 inch or larger surface cleaner. You will never look back.

You won't regret the extra money spent. Bottom line.

you can adust your pressures on a surface cleaner just like on your wand. Change the orifice size and the result will be a different pressure. Also, the degree will change the impact. So use the combibation to get whatever pressure you need. Most folk i talk to use the surface cleaner and use a suitable pressure.

+1.............

Or the pressure regulator on the pw can be reduced or increased as needed.

Alot of pool decking ( aprons) are built with the same type of concrete as the usual flatwork, but they are also usually coated with cool crete coatings that are only milimeters thick and can lose adhesion with too high psi.

12%, ox for rust, light mist light rinse in most cases.

Edited by Adrian

What is used to brighten the surface of the pool? I think it was something like oxalic, Back to the old threads, lol!!!

Spent almost a whole day this weekend reading old threads. What I learned I'm using on the roofs at the golf course tomorow. Not a big change in how I'm washing roofs just addin 1 thing and I can cut back on how much Sodium hypochlorite I use? Not going to try and adjust ph because that could get to close to mustard gas, and a respirator will be used this time! Pics of that job will be up later tomorow evening or wed. evening.

Good advice Adrian but I may not use it again this year. Its starting to get a lil chilly up here.

Does anyone rent surface cleaners? I checked out sunbelt, I have an account there. They dont have them.

OMG! I forgot! I have a female lady friend that offered help in getting me in on washing stores, a couple months ago.

I need to call her up! Starbucks, nice lunch...

She manages one and said she can pull money for stuff like that.

On the same topic, can you safely clean a aggregate area with a surface cleaner around a pool? I have a bid for a Brick patio and pool skirt.. Surface cleaner or the wand??? picks enclosed.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Dan its got to be the surface cleaner, I think. Ive watched many videos.

He can't get too large if he's only pushing 4 gmp or so. The machine can't keep up. I wouldn't go larger than a 20 inch. Somewhere I saw a formula about the size and gpm but I've forgotten where that was. I'm sure he can google the key words and find it.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Surface Cleaner! You may have to wand lightly around the pool if those stones haven't been sealed in awile. they get lose. usue a good amount of SH and some soap. You'll be fine.

Around here a pool deck is the same 3000psi concrete as the driveway. Surface cleaner and be done with it.

+ 1 DS a goos strong house wash mix before and maybe as a final brighner after the rinse. I must do 450-500 Pool Decks per yr. You will be fine.

He can't get too large if he's only pushing 4 gmp or so. The machine can't keep up. I wouldn't go larger than a 20 inch. Somewhere I saw a formula about the size and gpm but I've forgotten where that was. I'm sure he can google the key words and find it.

Thanks Rick. once again experience, (and rememberin im only 4gpm right now).

Okay, any time I can help. I'd like to talk more but my wife just made stuffed peppers and I've got to sample that. She knows my weakness.

See ya.

Try to rent a surface cleaner. $40 a day here. You will not need chems. This concrete is not that nasty. Try not to let edge of cleaner hover @edge of pool, it will dump dirt in pool. You can clean with a gun and tip if you must. It can and has been done. Be careful about hose getting in pool and scrapping the white off the edge. The hose will get in the pool. Just try not to drag it around. It's just concrete. Clean it.

Try to rent a surface cleaner. $40 a day here. You will not need chems. This concrete is not that nasty. Try not to let edge of cleaner hover @edge of pool, it will dump dirt in pool. You can clean with a gun and tip if you must. It can and has been done. Be careful about hose getting in pool and scrapping the white off the edge. The hose will get in the pool. Just try not to drag it around. It's just concrete. Clean it.

Thanx Andy! I did find a place to rent a surface cleaner! 50 a day!