Sign in to follow this  
StiGEnterpirse

Rookie needs some advise/help

hello

well im new to the forum and didn't know where this would go so i put it where i thought it would make sense.

my name is stephen and I am wanting to start up a pressure washing business. I have done some pressure washing before when i was little but never thought of it as a career. well i have run into a bind with me going to school and i have been reading up on pressure cleaning and the many uses you can use with it. the problem that i am facing is that i do not have a very large budget i only have about $500-$700 to start this business. I also do not have a truck i have a civic i do not know how i am going to move the equipment around but ill figure something out. my question to you guys is im considering buying a pressure washer with adjustable pressure and rated at 3000PSI at 2.5 GPM for $499. with a whirl-a-way 18" for 399.99( but im going to try to find it cheaper somewhere else). im hoping that i can start by cleaning driveways and roofs and drive-troughs and work my way up to buying a truck and a trailer and getting a crew to do multiple applications/jobs. If you guys have any advice that you guys can give to a rookie i would greatly appreciate it. you can send me the info if you have any to stigenterprise@gmail.com. or if you can tell me how you guys started with hardly a budget let me know. im a student that is trying to go to nursing school so im broke but im willing to work to put myself through school. Thank you all for taking the time to read this and helping me out. i greatly appreciate it.

Stephen

Your best bet is to get a job with a PW'ing company and learn the trade while finishing school. Insurance alone will tap your entire budget. I doubt many people here will actively jump in to help you when you make no mention of getting insured. Best wishes and good luck in school!

You have many hurdles ahead of you. Ken gave you some good advise.

It will be very hard to start it up with your budget. I am not saying that it cant be done... I started my business with a little over 1200.00, BUT 275.00 of that paid the deposit for my liability insurance.

Call me if you have more questions 607-435-5539

Matt

ok so how much do you think i should save up to get money to get insurance and my equipment.. the thing is i ran out of money to go to school thats why im starting this.. im willing to do anything.. do i need like 1500 for insurance and equipment and start advertising? thank you guys so much for helping me out.

ok so how much do you think i should save up to get money to get insurance and my equipment.. the thing is i ran out of money to go to school thats why im starting this.. im willing to do anything.. do i need like 1500 for insurance and equipment and start advertising? thank you guys so much for helping me out.

Welcome to TGS.

Please go to your "my controls" and complete your signature line.

House rules.

Much respect to the nursing industry. I was an EMT for many a moon in Austin. The hours for credit that you are about to log in Nursing school will not support the time you will need to run a company on the side. Just keep that in mind. BUT, it is doable. You will just have to learn to live as a zombie and NEVER be home at all.

I actually went to school 20hrs a wk at night while performing in 3 different bands and full time job. With clinicals. BUT again, ZOMBIE all the time. Not good for your patients you will be practicing on.

Just like your nursing skills are specialized in different areas of the field. The same goes forpressure washing. There are many categories. Specialty areas.

But, most importantly search your deepest part of your soul to be sure you really think you can handle that type of a schedule.

Pressure washing is a full time full functioning industry that ALOT of rookies think is a quick way to make extra cash. We know how that story ends.

Welcome to TGS, again, pls. complete your signature line and read read read and use the search function to learn.

Do what ken said, he's like Yoda around here. :)

Well the thing is im not looking for a get rich quick scheme or anything like that. I cant afford to go to school anymore so i need to take time off to gather up money so this is why i am considering this. when i do start the nursing school i will do it part time like at nights doing gas stations and drive thrus. I know the areas i want to get specialized in graffiti since i live in a big city and its everywhere and gas stations and drive thrus.

really this semster im taking 17 credits 7 classes and im a zombie lol got to bed at 2 or 3 wake up at 6 to start the next day. so yea

I definately know that chapter of life. I have managed to get several instructors to believe that I slept the night before clinicals, HAHA. Sleep, what is sleep?

Ok then, first an honest response would be that you need more "$$$$$"

700.00 will cover a yr of ins GL of maybe 100k coverage, maybe a bit more.

Now you will need the gear, because that civic ain't gonna get you there.

Truck, trailer, pressure washing unit, surface cleaner.

Once you get all of that, you need to learn how to use it properly.

Which is why you should read first before you purchase anything.

This site is where you will get the most help.

PW is a much larger field than you can imagine. Find out exactly how to perfect your niche' ( graffitti I think you mentioned). Read up. there is alot of graff info here.

Or do what Ken said. That is the most surefire way to see if this industry is for you.

Find someone in your area.

Just like a clinical "ride out" on an ambulance. You see if that is the area that interests you. Good luck.

All commercial PWers are "Zombies" We work all night at full speed, go home sleep 2hrs and do a job durring the day, then go back to work at night. its a lovely life. but its starting to take its toll on my body/marriage. with 2-3 hrs of sleep a night at 2am im fired up ready to go. but have no job to do that night.

I don't want to shoot down your aspirations to start a business. The issue that is staring us that have been in business for awhile is that you have too many of the criteria that cause failure. You've heard the expression "throwing good money after bad"? Here is the reality of what's going on with your business plan.

1. You need insurance to do this work.

2. Your market is notorious for low pricing.

3. You don't know what you are doing.

4. You are woefully undercapitalized. Yes, some have started on a shoestring budget, but I don't think anyone started with a Honda Civic as a vehicle.

5. Even if you buy a super cheap homeowner grade machine and lift it in and out of your trunk/hatch, that doesn't mean anyone will hire you.

6. You have no experience in business and as such you will not understand your numbers and probably way underprice your service.

7. You have no way of generating leads other than to jump in the pool with the hundreds of guys that probably roam Miami with the same capital reserves. That means hand printed flyers and CraigsList for your job leads. You'd be lucky to make yourself $150/wk for 40+ hours of effort.

Save your $500 and find a company from these boards and see if they are hiring helpers. Trust me on this, you'll make more money than if you try to start this thing on your own.

www.cleanertimes.com

Stephen,

All of these guys know what they are talking about. You are smart to be asking and listening to them.

Check us out, we are the trade journal for the Pressure washing industry. Some of these guys have been quoted in the magazine.

Stay safe and hydrated,

Chuck