Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Black Friday?

Question

I am very concerned about how sales will be the day after thanksgiving. I am crossing my fingers that we'll see some more good news as shoppers start hitting the stores. It should be the real first testimony if this economic recovery is really moving forward or not. As you know the top 10% of household incomes do half, 50%, of all the buying. Realistically, they should not have been affected very much by this recession, except for psychological aspects. Sure the news sounds grim about massive layoffs and what not - but when your stock retirement is more tied into chinese factory output, which had a great month, than it is whether or not the bottom 20% of Americans are doing well. Things shouldn't be so bad, right?

5 answers to this question

Dan consumers are not going to spend like they did before the downturn whether they have money or not, we will need to see better figures across the board and for a sustained time, before wallets loosen a lot and go back to the good ole days of people fueling the economy on credit. Most of the good ole times was credit, they are now either sunk by it or paying it off, I am sure that will change sooner or later, us Americans have short memories

Go wash something else