Sign in to follow this  
Oxfordlawn

White chalky vinyl siding

Question

I have been searching here and reading up on this issue. Most of the houses I wash are vinyl in the 3-5 yr. old range and most will leave a chalky residue when hand ran over. This happens before and after washing. I use a mix of Emulsifier plus from E-Spec, bleach, and add jet dry for windows. At first I thought I was doing something wrong, not rinsing enough or other. Yesterday I washed a light gray vinyl very chalky house. rinsed forever and even brushed just to see if helped, and it was still slightly chalky when it dried.

So some posts reccomended trying a spray wax to help reduce chalking. My question is how would this spray wax be applied? Downstreaming after wash/rinse routine, or added to the wash mix and all done at once?

Someone reccomended a spray wax in the gallon size from Northern as an example, is this it??Monster Spray Wax 1 Gallon by Monster Labs | Chemical Cleaners | Northern Tool + Equipment

Thanks for any help with this. None of the customers have mentioned or noticed this but I would like to have the answers for the time when someone does start asking.

TOM

22 answers to this question

We aren't in business to remove the chalk. That's a restoration service that requires high concentrated ph cleaners, loads of brushing, and loads of high pressure. Softwashing is a way to clean up a structure and not screw with the chalky oxidized surface below. But to think you can remove the oxidation with soft washing methods - that's crazy.

....and thats why I ask:) So the chalky will always be there is what you are saying? This is why I am spending some time here researching and learning. The spray on wax would not help minimize at all as suggested in some other thread?

I have never pursued the 'wax' treatments. They have little value in my opinion, but are totally legit in the sense of wanting to provide a 'chi-chi' service. If you have homeowners that want to spend their money - it's a great upsell. It's just I am more focused on getting database of customers for now. Upsells like gutter brushing, wax treatments - I think of them for more down the road upsells to homeowners looking to spend more money in better economic times. Homeowners can only absorb so much education - pressure washing is still in it's infancy. I can provide a slightly better service than my competition - but if I come and provide a 200% better service, it will go over a homeowner's head.

Look at landscapers right now - look at the multi-tiered services they now offer - some of these guys have a small fleet of trucks and gross close a million a year now - had they tried to lay all these services on homeowners back in the 80's when things were first starting out - they would have been laughed at. They had to do simple grass cutting and some leaf raking in the fall to get their industry into the 'door'. Now 20 years later - they've been able to educate homeowners on a vast array of services. Now folks feel helpless without their landscaper.

I think a wax upsell/UV protection is a very good and doable option in my market area. Can you or anyone here offer any advice on how its done. Is it mixed in the house wash solution? or sprayed after the wash job and downstreamed in a seperate mix solution. I will continue to research but am asking here/now as well.

If it is heavily oxidized and chaulky to your hand on the surface. RUN FAST. If it is a small home you can brush to even up changes in color. If it is a large home you will work your azz off for no extra money. This is why I avoid oxidized metal roofs. I hope I get blown out of the water with this comment by someone who has found an affordable way.

Thanks for the responses. I have a Northern Tool very close so I am going to try the wet wax liquid carnuba which gets diluted at 30:1, and I can get one gallon and try on a customers house and see and monitor results.

All the vinyl sided homes in my area are the same age and seem to have that slight chalky coating. Honestly, I am looking possibly just for a way to distinguish/ seperate myself a little bit from the others in this area. Looking at advertising something along the lines of protecting the value of your home with exterior surface sealant and mold formation retardant. Taken straight from ESpecs catalog. just thinking outloud here.

I will also try the Plex-master but its a bit pricey and I will have to order it, so in the mean time I will get the wax and apply it, then get the Plex-master and apply that to a similiar home. Hopefully one of these will get the results and shine so I can try to sell in a different manner. (and charge way more). I'm pretty sure I can sell the "protection" service no problem on top of a house wash.

Tom it's been my experience that in order to totally remove that chaulky oxidation from vinyl siding you have to brush and use a bit more pressure then "soft washing". I learned this from trying to "fix" a job that somebody did with too much pressure, left zebra stripes all over the siding. I tend to pass on these jobs if the home owner wants the oxidation removed. Too much work and risk. I will offer to clean the mold/mildew/dust dirt and grime off though.

However in my housewash mix I do add a waxy solution. I buy a lot of chemical from the company that manfactures those Monster chems for Northern. The stuff I use is just a more concentrated form of that Waxy Wash from Northern. It does add somewhat of a shine to the vinyl siding, and I've noticed it does a pretty decent job on the windows as well.

Got the Monster wet wax from Northern this morning..I will spray a house early next week when I get back to working, and see how it looks. I will post results here as well....and again to all....THANK YOU. scheduled some time off for family visiting for a long weekend---golf time!

Tom it's been my experience that in order to totally remove that chaulky oxidation from vinyl siding you have to brush and use a bit more pressure then "soft washing". I learned this from trying to "fix" a job that somebody did with too much pressure, left zebra stripes all over the siding. I tend to pass on these jobs if the home owner wants the oxidation removed. Too much work and risk. I will offer to clean the mold/mildew/dust dirt and grime off though.

However in my housewash mix I do add a waxy solution. I buy a lot of chemical from the company that manfactures those Monster chems for Northern. The stuff I use is just a more concentrated form of that Waxy Wash from Northern. It does add somewhat of a shine to the vinyl siding, and I've noticed it does a pretty decent job on the windows as well.

Micah, the "waxy solution " that you mentioned, do you buy it locally or have to order it. Is it available at the Chemical Connection in Mauldin? What's it called? I'd like to try it out.

Oh yeah, does it apply evenly with cold water or do you have to up the temp a bit?

Looking for a high PH cleaner? OXIONE from Simix solutions

Once freshly mixed the ph will hit 13 and watch it clean,removing all oxidation possible.

And their OXISHINE is great for vinyl siding, it will shine for at least 3 years and same goes for metal roofs.

Paul

Micah, the "waxy solution " that you mentioned, do you buy it locally or have to order it. Is it available at the Chemical Connection in Mauldin? What's it called? I'd like to try it out.

Oh yeah, does it apply evenly with cold water or do you have to up the temp a bit?

Richard, ask for the "Waxy Wash". It's red in color and has a strong cherry scent. Pretty thick in the container, but just add a healthy dose to your regular house wash mix. No need to use heat, it's not nearly that thick.

We should meet up soon for lunch, I could give you some waxy wash to try out.

spammer

Although I cautiously defend this person,, I do not believe he is a spammer, at least on this thread. Ironically I was on his website earlier today as it came up while I was searching Simix concrete sealer for my own use on my own driveway...and his site popped up...he is a contractor who uses the Simix products...so I feel it may have been an honest referral.

I started reading this thread, read some, then scrolled down to post a reply. I use sunbrite stuff. never a prob yet. the combination of butyl, sodium hydroxide, and sodium hypochlorite. Can you figure out what the white chalky stuff is? Its there before and after? Or just after? Or what? What is it? I don't understand, and I apologize. The homes are between 3-5 years old? Needing a washing already?

for real the vinyl homes need to be washed at least every year but almost everyone in this area is on an every 6 month schedule.The mold/algae buildup is that quick, especially on the north walls. The chalky stuff is just a slight oxidation layer that is there before and after. It will go away with some scrubbing, but thats not happening at $60 - $100 for washes. I am going to try the waxy wash to see if it hides the oxidation a bit with a shine as well, and if it does, next to try and see if I can use it as an upsell offering UV protection and less mold buildup between washes....everyone needs a a gimmick..thats the one im working on. Just something to try and seperate me from the other 3000 house washers in the area.

I push as an add on, wax. I only charge 30 bucks extra for it. From same company I mentioned before. Told to do a cap full in 5er. I do 2 cap fulls.

Got a super punished roof I did today. Dwelling the chems on this one couple days. I'm still using the pump up sprayers n walkin the roofs. Takes forever compared to the guys in florida. 3 hours me and Jeff on the roof applying it. It was a big house tooo! Before 'n after pics be up here in couple days! In the roof washing section.

Tom, 100 dollar house washings??? I don't know the market there. Competition must be fierce. Going through that right now with gutter cleanings this fall. work on customer LOYALTY. I got that and increasing it. Price isnt the only factor in gaining work. Treat each customer like they were your grandmother! Get it?

Now what is the white chalky stuff????????

Now what is the white chalky stuff????????

Its not noticable unless you are looking for it. Run your hand on the vinyl siding and a white powdery substance comes off. Its a type of oxidation caused from materials used in coloring the vinyl. SOme colors(blues) will be worse than others. Did a bunch of research on these forums and spoke to a couple very helpful people and all had that same answer. It doesnt affect the color---just takes away from the glossy sheen. I believe it is worse here in Florida with the long days of hot glaring sun. If I can get the glossy look back with the spray on waxy rinse..Im golden. I will know this week as I have the perfect house to try it out on. If it looks as good as I think it will, the UV protection angle is going to be my upsell angle and as well as the prolonged mold/mildew protection. Sun pritection in Florida should be an easy sell.