Sign in to follow this  
JulieAndKelton

Internship and Training

Hello all! I'd like to tell you all how fabulous I think this forum is! So much knowledge and expertise all in one place. Truly invaluable.

I'm the Julie half of "JulieAndKelton". My husband, (the Kelton half) is active duty Air Force and we are now stationed in Charleston, South Carolina. We've long been discussing life After Uncle Sam and, lately, feel we are being led to the power washing business. We've researched and prayed. Prayed and researched.

Herein lies the trouble... my husband is an aircraft electrician. He's NOT a power washer. I'm a licensed massage therapist and salesperson. NOT a power washer. :( We are wondering if it is inappropriate to contact some local businesses and ask for an internship. For both of us. He, clearly, would do most of the actual work. I would like to be able to ask questions about licensing and clerical work. We can see why some, if not all, business owners would shy away from this type of thing. However, we'd like a little bigger picture of what we would be leaping into before sinking thousands of dollars in a business we may hate.

So... After all that rambling (apologies) would it be inappropriate to contact local business owners and ask them to mentor us, guide us and teach us some of the slippery ropes?

Thanks for any help. I'm going to continue to scour these forums and hopefully answer a lot of my questions.

JulieAndKelton

Hi Julie,

Your approach to local P/W businesses could be a tough sell if you plan on opening a similar business in the immediate local area. Few firms relish the idea of increased competition in their market.

Possible recourse would be to travel out of area and spend some time with an experienced, successful P/W company.

Mr. Petry,

That is pretty much what we figured. Unfortunately, with both of us still being fully employed, our travel time is quite limited. I suppose we were hoping for a miracle! First hand knowledge always is better than what you can read in a book or watch in a video. I do thank you for breaking the bad news gently (and quickly!). I just quickly viewed your website and I love how professional it looks! Lots of good information there, as well.

Kindly,

JulieAndKelton

Hi Julie,

Your approach to local P/W businesses could be a tough sell if you plan on opening a similar business in the immediate local area. Few firms relish the idea of increased competition in their market.

Possible recourse would be to travel out of area and spend some time with an experienced, successful P/W company.

I would help her even in My own Backyard.

Julie your in good hands when it comes to Roger & Celeste. I had a pleasure of meeting them at the Ft Worth Round Table. They will steer you right. Just keep positive and work on your business not in your business. You run it dont let it run you. Below are some more helpful links.

www.ptstate.com

www.propowerwash.com/board/upload/indexold.php

www.fleetwashacademy.com/index.php

www.pressurenet.com/forums

www.josephdwalters.com (pressure washing insurance)

Mobile Power Wash Pricing Survey (pressure washing pricing survey)

Good luck and hope to see you guys around. Get plugged in to some up coming Round Tables. Its a great networking tool. Tons of information is shared, taught and the giveaways are fantastic.

Bryan

OMG.........you called the crazy "Squirrel Lady".

Well, no. She called me. :) But, let me tell you, I sure am thankful for the "Squirrel Lady". It's nice to have people help you reach your goals and give you a chance to make your dreams come true. The world could use more "Squirrel Ladies". ;)

LOL - There are NO MORE SQUIRRELS in my house :)

We are certainly looking forward to working with Kelton & Julie. You know the Carolinas turn out some good contractors!

Celeste

YET!!!

I have a whole bunch of traps set and the little critters will be delivered before Christmas.They are however being delivered Fedex so there is a very good chance the same idiot will deliver them to the same idiot who signed for stuff that wasn't his............lol.

Not sure how I missed this thread, but any, well, most, er some pw contractors would welcome the opportunity to help you - even in their own backyard. My position is that there are too many dirty houses/buildings/walks for me to clean by myself and the better educated my competition,the better prices we'll all get.

If your eve in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area, I'd be glad to let you wash a house or two.